keyboard for g3 desktop

iameatingjam1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
I just ordered a 266mhz g3 desktop (beige) off ebay that runs 9.2 has a USB card installed. Can I use a modern windows keyboard on it? I'll probably replace it eventually, would a newer apple keyboard work? Thanks.

Last edited:

ifrit05

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
It should work. The Windows Key is the "Apple/Command" key on MacOS 9.

If you want to ever install OS X (10.2.8 is the last version that desktop supports) you wont be able to use it in Single User Mode unless it's a wired USB keyboard.

Any official Apple keyboard should work with 9+.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Also of note: If you ever have to do anything that requires the keyboard before the OS has loaded its USB drivers, you're out of luck.

So no holding Option to select a boot device, no holding Command-Option-P-R to reset the PRAM, no holding Shift to boot OS X into safe mode, or OS 9 into "Skip Extensions" mode, etc, etc, etc.

You'll need an ADB keyboard for any of that. (Any Mac with built-in USB can do any of that with any USB keyboard, but not off an add-in USB card.)

iameatingjam1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Okay, good to know, thanks for the help.

I don't ever plan on installing OSX, the whole point was to run 9 natively, so as long as nothing goes wrong I shouldn't need to use any start up features (I hope).

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Also, some G3s running OS 9 might not like your keyboard- I mean it will work and everything, but it might come up with a message at start up saying it doesn't recognize the keyboard, or it is too new. It probably won't in your case, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.