keyboard for g3 desktop

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iameatingjam1, Dec 28, 2013.

1. iameatingjam1, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

iameatingjam1 macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2013
    I just ordered a 266mhz g3 desktop (beige) off ebay that runs 9.2 has a USB card installed. Can I use a modern windows keyboard on it? I'll probably replace it eventually, would a newer apple keyboard work? Thanks.
  2. ifrit05 macrumors regular

Dec 23, 2013
    Near Detroit, MI. USA
    It should work. The Windows Key is the "Apple/Command" key on MacOS 9.

If you want to ever install OS X (10.2.8 is the last version that desktop supports) you wont be able to use it in Single User Mode unless it's a wired USB keyboard.

Any official Apple keyboard should work with 9+.
  3. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
    You should be fine with any USB keyboard, however some PC keyboards I have had issues with such as trying to get to the disk menu on my G5 with the original iMac G3 keyboard.
  4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    Also of note: If you ever have to do anything that requires the keyboard before the OS has loaded its USB drivers, you're out of luck.

So no holding Option to select a boot device, no holding Command-Option-P-R to reset the PRAM, no holding Shift to boot OS X into safe mode, or OS 9 into "Skip Extensions" mode, etc, etc, etc.

You'll need an ADB keyboard for any of that. (Any Mac with built-in USB can do any of that with any USB keyboard, but not off an add-in USB card.)
  5. iameatingjam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2013
    Okay, good to know, thanks for the help.

I don't ever plan on installing OSX, the whole point was to run 9 natively, so as long as nothing goes wrong I shouldn't need to use any start up features (I hope).
  6. jrsx macrumors 65816

Nov 2, 2013
    Tacoma, Washington
    Also, some G3s running OS 9 might not like your keyboard- I mean it will work and everything, but it might come up with a message at start up saying it doesn't recognize the keyboard, or it is too new. It probably won't in your case, though.