keyboard for running Windows on iMac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TuvanDrone, Nov 15, 2010.

1. TuvanDrone macrumors newbie

I'm a 25-year PC user looking to switch to iMac that also runs Windows 7 virtually. Wondering if there are recommended keyboards that map seamlessly to both Mac to PC programs as I will run these side by side. I'm looking for one with backlit keys, a gaming keyboard would be ok though I am not a gamer. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Keyboards are really a question of personal preference. I am so used to the MacBook keyboards now that I use an Apple wired KB on one of my PCs (even though it does not have the requested backlight.

What KB do you currently use on your PC?

I'd suggest you stick with the Apple keyboard that comes with the iMac or use your current PC keyboard.

B

3. TuvanDrone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding, balamw. I am using a fairly standard Dell extended keyboard with multimedia and program keys on my current PC. I tried the iMac and Apple alphanumeric keyboard this past w/e at the Apple store and did not like them at all. I want a keyboard that feels and operates like one I am used to, and preferably with some extra powered USB slots.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There really isn't a keyboard that handles both OSes perfectly. There was a recent thread here about certain Logitech DiNove Mac keyboards not providing Windows drivers for the media keys, and vice-versa for the PC version.

So finding one that even claims to support both OSes and has the features you want may be tricky.

e.g. This guy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=backlit_keyboard-_-23-126-053-_-Product fits the bill but is $170.

EDIT: See this thread for more on using these KBs with Macs. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=875228

B

5. TuvanDrone thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I never found Apple's poorly localized keyboards acceptable, so I use a (German) Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000 and slightly modified the key map with the freeware "Ukelele" to make sure that the keys work and behave exactly as they are labeled.

Why Mac keyboard layouts do not follow any international industry standards is beyond me, but Ukelele is a great tool to fix that problem.

If you're a hardcore typist, you might find "Das Keyboard III" fascinating: It's entirely in black, with no labels on the keys AT ALL... I'm still thinking about buying myself one for Christmas.

7. TuvanDrone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding Winni. Wow, that sounds like a great keyboard and for me it would be nice to have the tactile feedback as I do a lot of typing. I read up more on it and saw that some folks were having problems with it and Windows 7. Are you using it on a Mac exclusively and do you run W7 or another Windows OS alongside it on the Mac? Are you willing to share your key reassignments with Ukelele? Thanks.