Keyboard Grease Layer on Glass Screen Anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tslewis, Nov 29, 2008.

1. tslewis macrumors member

Just noticing that I need to clean my MBP quite often to remove greasy smudges that clearly show the outline of the key board on teh glass screen. Anyone else getting this with the late 2008 MBP? Does this have implications when running the MBP in clam shell on an external display? i.e. if the MBP heats up will the warming of the keys cause the keyboard to stick to the glass screen? I guess putting the cloth screen cleaner between teh keyboard and screen might help.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Cloth would help, and wash your hands after eating... :p

3. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

Never noticed this, I clean the keyboard after each use is probably why. (those black keys get so grimy)

4. tslewis thread starter macrumors member

Ok, tis true I am perhaps NOT the most hygenic of people. Still, kinda surprised how close the screen is to the keyboard.......

5. pnyc macrumors 6502

Is it normal for the keys to be making that much contact with the screen? Could this lead to scratching? Anyone else with a new MBP noticing anything like this?

6. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

Well in theory they keys should never touch the screen, that is why the keys/keyboard is recessed into the frame. And I'm not sure if anyone one else has noticed but the screen curves towards the end very very slightly.

7. pnyc macrumors 6502

It seams like tslewis has gotten a lemon given all the problems he's reporting with his brand new setup in this thread and two others he has going.

8. tslewis thread starter macrumors member

Not really, I guess when you get one major screw up - oh sorry thats my fault for not expecting my laptop to fail within 30 days, what a silly consumer I am to expect a higher grade of product for more money - you start to see other originally minor issues in a different light......

9. tslewis thread starter macrumors member

Anyway time to get a life and have a beer, I will be demanding a replacment hard drive in the morning, cheerio

10. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

So true.....

OP, you really should just consolidate all of your problems into one thread.

As for the screen, I wouldn't worry about it, just wash your hands like stated above and clean you notebook periodically. You can't expect your notebook to stay in pristine condition.

And NO, nothing will happen when you operate in clamshell mode. Apple would not allow this, let alone publicly document the ability to do this. Your display is covered in glass and your keyboard is plastic. Last time I checked, glass is significantly harder than plastic.

11. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I have the problem with keyboard grease on my glass screen every time I close the lid.. very annoying to have to clean the screen every day :(

12. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Just buy a cloth that covers your keyboard when u close it. Im sure they arent too hard to find.

13. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

14. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

15. Herrow macrumors regular

I am using a new Shaggymac with my Unibody MBP and it works as designed.

This grease smudge transfer was annoying, but the Shaggymac eliminated it all together. Very happy now! Radtech offers a similar product.