keyboard growling, or roaring!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OldeGrayWolf, Oct 2, 2012.

1. OldeGrayWolf macrumors newbie

Okay, I use an external USB keyboard most of the time but also the MBP's. Last night I suddenly began hearing the most god-awful roar with certain keystrokes...then sometimes, with every keystroke. When I researched forums and the internet, I always get only the Growl-app related info. If Growl is installed on this laptop, I cannot find it anywhere. I turned on the Activity Monitor and watched as I pressed keys and note that coreaudiod, process ID 117 is logged with each of these growling strokes. What the heck? I tried resetting PRAM but it is still doing it. Sporadically, of course, so I can't yet figure out what caused this unit to start growling/roaring. I'm still getting acquainted with my first Apple computer in 30 years. This is a system sound, apparently, definitely at the keyboard though. Any animal trainer on here who knows what this beast is doing and why... :eek:

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If the Growl notification app is installed, you should see a paw-shaped icon on the right side of the menu bar at the top of your screen. You will also see it listed in your "Login Items" under SystemPreferences/Users&Groups.

It does not make a Growling noise with keystrokes however! :) :rolleyes: :)

I think you have something else amiss... :confused:

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Growl is a preference pane under System Preferences.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yeah ... I thought it was too ... but when I looked for it, it wasn't there anymore on my system. Wonder if it installs differently in Mountain Lion (I recall having to uninstall it before it would re-install at the last upgrade.

Of course ... it still doesn't make any animal like noises when typing on the keyboard! :rolleyes: :)

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Perhaps so, I wouldn't know. I am still running Snow Leopard, where it is a pane.

In any case it can be found with a Finder search.