Keyboard help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sphuyal, May 1, 2009.

1. sphuyal macrumors member

Hi,

I am new to using mac. I don´t see the buttons like: home, pageup, pagedn, del, end buttons in my mac keyboard. Are there shortcuts for those functions?

I tried going through keyboard shortcuts in mac webpage and in the forum but didn´t exactly find what i was looking for. thanks

2. Dunmail macrumors regular

Home is an arrow pointing northwest, i.e. up and left
    End is an arrow pointing southeast, i.e. down and right
    Page up is an arrow pointing upwards with two short horizontal lines through it
    Page down is an arrow pointing downwards with two short horizontal lines through it
    Del looks like a house on its side facing right and with an 'x' on it.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Do you have a stand-alone keyboard or a laptop?

On the laptop those are on the arrow keys. You just have to hold the fn (function) key to access them.

On the full keyboard they're in the same place as Windows keyboards, above the arrows.

The keys should be labeled so shouldn't be too hard to find them.

4. sphuyal thread starter macrumors member

Yes that is what i´ve found in most apple key symbol explanations....but you see i don´t have those keys (i mean with two horizontal lines through the arrow).

5. sphuyal thread starter macrumors member

I´ve laptop not external keyboard...I did find out a way to do same function like ´pageup´n ´pagedn´but not ´home´énd´n del

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

in OS X the home key scrolls to the top of the page and vice versa for the end key. if youre looking for the functionality of the Windows home and end keys press command and the left and right arrow keys. page up and page down act the same. on MacBooks press the fn key plus the up and down arrows for home and end and up and down for page up and down.

the functionality of control plus the left and right arrow keys in Windows is substituted by the command key in OS X.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I was looking at images of the keyboards on the newer MacBooks and it looks like they removed the labels on the arrow keys. For me I have the left arrow with the home key (so hitting fn+left = home), up has page up, down has page down, and right has end. For del (forward delete) you do fn+delete. Since I haven't tried out the new keyboard layouts I can't confirm that they do the same functions as mine.

8. sphuyal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alot did worked like in windows...cheers