Keyboard Hoover

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JDN, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. JDN macrumors 6502a

    Sep 7, 2006
    Lund Sweden {London England}
    I would like to keep my MBP is as good condition as possible, and living in student accomodation, this isnt always as easy as it sounds. I have noticed that around the edges on the keyboard little bits of dust are starting to settle. If got osme of it out with a tooth pick, but i dont want to be to evasive incase i damage anything. Ive looked up keyboard hoovers but all i find is mini hoovers and they say not to use them on computers cos of static.

    Anyone seen any i could use? Or is there a better way?
  2. Omni Geno macrumors regular

    Omni Geno

    Apr 8, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    I'm not too familiar with the design of the MBP's keyboard, but with most standard keyboards you can lift out the keys by sticking a thin, sturdy, pointed object (such as the tip of a mechanical pencil or a paper clip) under the key and prying it up. Now, doing this w/ certain keyboard designs can damage your keys, so I wouldn't try this until someone can confirm that this works w/ the MBP.

    If it does, you can do this and actually wipe underneath the keys to get all the dust, dirt, and grime out of your keyboard.
  3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000


    Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    iSkin works fine, but is a little weird to use at first. It will help minimise splash damage should you spill near you computer or if you have Palmer Hyperhidrosis. Honestly I haven’t used mine in a while, so if you don't put it back on after cleaning the iSkin then you will fall out of the habit.

    Prying keys off shouldn't be done unless you have to. The little plastic bits could break. If one of those ridiculous little keyboard vacuum cleaners isn't enough, nothing is stopping you from using a real vacuum cleaner with bristle hose attachment.

    I do run the edge of a Post-It around the edges of the keys from time to time.
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    using Q-tips with a little water on them works for the full-size keyboard, but i'm not sure if it would work on an MBP. i'm on my MBP now and i don't want to try lifting off those keys. if you're careful, you may be able to use a regular vacuum attachment - whatever the smallest one on there is.
  5. riciad macrumors 6502

    Oct 10, 2005
  6. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Sep 7, 2006
    Lund Sweden {London England}
    I DO NOT want to take the MBP apart. Im too chicken, pure and simple.

    Ive used those dust covers before, for long periods of time, hate them.

    So, anymore ideas?
  7. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000


    Mar 7, 2006
    Just using a little duster works well. I have pledge dusters that dust everything off the tops and then i move that onto the side to get inbetween the keys.
  8. puckhead193 macrumors G3


    May 25, 2004

Share This Page