Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
In low light the keyboard is illuminated, but in a brighter light the keyboard gets brighter instead of switching off. Does anybody know why?

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
In low light the keyboard is illuminated, but in a brighter light the keyboard gets brighter instead of switching off. Does anybody know why?

Mine does exactly the same thing. In the dark it is illuminated, when there is some light, it gets brighter. When there is a lot of light, like outside or in a very good lightened room, it switches of completely.

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Because it's supposed to.

Well I don't know if I explained it wrong or you got it wrong, but mine keyboard does exactly the opposite of what it suppose to. When it's dark in the room and it gets brighter the keyboard suppose to switch off the illumination, simply because it is bright in the room and the keyboard is visible. However the keyboard of my MBP gets brighter!

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
Well I don't know if I explained it wrong or you got it wrong, but mine keyboard does exactly the opposite of what it suppose to. When it's dark in the room and it gets brighter the keyboard suppose to switch off the illumination, simply because it is bright in the room and the keyboard is visible. However the keyboard of my MBP gets brighter!

I don't really have an answer for you...You could just use f5/f6 to manually change the lighting (I know it's not the automatic change you're looking for).

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

It's normal, it gets brighter to offer more contrast until it judges there is enough light for it to turn off.

You're seeing perfectly normal behaviour here. You don't need the keyboard to be fully bright in the dark, just a little bit of light is plenty to see by, as it gets brighter in the room, so does the keyboard, because the brighter it is, the more backlighting you need to view the contrast(just like on an LCD), once you reach a certain level, it turns off.

I don't see what your problem is.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
It's normal, it gets brighter to offer more contrast until it judges there is enough light for it to turn off.

You're seeing perfectly normal behaviour here. You don't need the keyboard to be fully bright in the dark, just a little bit of light is plenty to see by, as it gets brighter in the room, so does the keyboard, because the brighter it is, the more backlighting you need to view the contrast(just like on an LCD), once you reach a certain level, it turns off.

I don't see what your problem is.

I concur. :D

If you have an iPhone or iDevice, you will notice the similar behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.