Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Got a new 2017 MacBook and I noticed two issues. One of the keys was not working reliably and the keyboard was leaving imprints on the screen. Nothing is placed between the keyboard and screen. Laptop is carried in a sleeve. No pressure is placed on the laptop. Took it to Apple and they replaced both the keyboard (top plate?) and the screen. Now just a few days after getting it back, I am noticing imprints again on the screen. What gives?

dear.leader

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Keyboard imprints are pretty common on the MacBook 12" as well as the MacBook Airs. Which is to say I don't know that you have anything especially wrong with your laptop. You could try placing a thin microfiber cloth over the keyboard when you close it. I've never tried it, but it seems like it should work.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
These things are "insanely great"! They really do protect the screen from being marred by the keyboard keys.... For me they are essential -- each time I have ordered or purchased a new Apple notebook I've also immediately ordered a "Screensavrz" to fit it.

gordonchrome

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2015
These things are "insanely great"! They really do protect the screen from being marred by the keyboard keys.... For me they are essential -- each time I have ordered or purchased a new Apple notebook I've also immediately ordered a "Screensavrz" to fit it.
does it prevent the lid from closing fully?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The one for the 12" MacBook is significantly thinner than the older ones for the earlier MacBook Pros, and no it doesn't prevent the machine from closing completely. I don't have a newer MacBook Pro (mine are from 2015) and they still use the full-sized screensavrz but I know that with the newer MBPs (2016, 2017) the screen protector is only half-size and presumably very thin in order to still provide protection but also to allow the machine to close fully.

Last edited:

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Well Apple repaired the laptop a second time and this time I inspected it very carefully after unboxing it and it looks perfect. I chatted with Apple support and they confirmed no need to place a cloth in between the keyboard and screen. While I appreciate it might be helpful, it is a nuisance that I'd rather avoid unless it were necessary. Fingers crossed I never need to address this again!

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I’ve always used a microfiber cloth in between the keyboard and the screen when I close mine. I didn’t go to the trouble of buying a custom fit cloth—just use any typical lens cloth you might have around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.