Keyboard imprints on screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by guitargoddsjm, Jan 21, 2010.

1. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have a early 2008 blackbook under warranty (until March 2011).

I noticed this problem a little while ago actually, but it's really been bugging me lately: If I turn down my brightness all the way or shut off the screen, I notice imprints in the form of small dots and lines. They dots are aligned to the corners of about two rows of keys. I've tried wiping the screen down and other imprints (oil, I'm assuming) disappear, but these rows just stay there.

It was a little hard to take pictures due to reflections, but...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyways, I plan on bringing it into the Apple store to see what they can do for me. Anyone have this problem before? How di you resolve it?

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

The problem always existed to an extent. Because of the proximity of the raised keys and the screen, there isn't much of a gap between them. With a little pressure from a tight bag or overcrowded backpack, the 2 surfaces actually touch and press together. If this is prolonged or repeated, the result can be a certain amount of oil transfer and indentation permanency.

One method by which it can be avoided is placing a soft cloth on top of the keyboard before closing the lid. If you were to use a clean microfiber cloth, it can double as a screen wipe.

3. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

If you use a silicon cover like from iSkin or moshi, you will be able to avoid this occurrence as well. I have used keyboard covers on every Macbook I have ever owned. Love the iSkin ones in particular. They cover the keys and the entire recessed are (unlike the moshi covers), saved against crumbs/dust/hair and smaller spills on the keyboard. Stay away from the zCovers-- they are trash.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

What you've done is put very fine scratches into the screen - nothing will remove them and leave the screen usable.

I doubt apple will do anything about it (but I've been surprised in the past), claiming it's a wear and tear issue.

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I've used this from the beginning with my MacBook precisely to avoid this problem.

6. guitargoddsjm thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a bit upsetting. It seems like it's more of a design flaw than wear & tear; the keyboard (or screen) should have been recessed more to avoid something like this...

7. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

If they (Apple) classify it themselves as a design flaw then you should get it replaced. Sorta how they classified the yellow & later cracked palmrests of the white Macbooks to be flawed and replaced in & out of warranty. If they don't... you may have a battle ahead of you. Unless you get a Genius that had his bran flavored soy flakes w/ rice milk that morning (Why are they always so hippie-esque?). ;)

8. Herrow macrumors regular

Have used the ShaggyMac screen protector since my 12" PB G4. All my used Mac portables are sold for top dollar with perfect screens. Can only suggest the Shaggy has been protecting my laptops.

9. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

10. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

I second this as well. I am using the clear keyboard cover by iSkin and it does a really great job. I have never once had oils or smudges on my screen from my keyboard. It feels really nice on the fingers as well, and it protects it from dirt, dust and even spills. This product is Definitely something every MacBook owner should have if you care about your big investment.