Keyboard is Dead, Track Pad Alive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Kks89, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Kks89 macrumors newbie

So last Friday I spilled some tea on my macbook and cleaned it up right away and nothing seemed to go wrong. I continued to work on my laptop until it the battery died. I plugged it in and turned it on and when I went to type in my password none of the keys were working and the "Cap Lock" light was on and wouldn't turn off. I plugged in a USB Keyboard and logged into my computer and messed around with it to see it worked and everything worked fine. What is wrong with my laptop? Is my logic board damaged? If I replace the top case will my key board work again?

2. Kks89 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

You are very lucky your spill didn't kill the logic board. Those are expensive. From what you are saying it sounds like your keyboard is dead. What you need to do is buy another one on eBay (or elsewhere) and replace yours. I would buy the entire top case because they're easy find and install.

Installation is really just a bunch of screws and 1 logic board connector. Shouldn't take more than 15 mins if you are handy with a screwdriver.

4. Kks89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That makes me feel tons better that the only thing that needs to be replaced is the actual keyboard!!!