Keyboard is goosed - CMD+R alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mesut Ozil, May 29, 2016.

1. Mesut Ozil, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016

Mesut Ozil macrumors newbie

Late 2013 Macbook Air:

I'm not exactly sure what's caused it but my keyboard has stopped working (except for the power button) and my screen has got some weird stuff going on too.

I'm able to use the Macbook with an external keyboard mouse and monitor and would like to do a factory reset before I take it to Apple.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to do CMD+R on boot. The windows button is acting as CMD (I can CMD+TAB between programs). Any other ideas?

When I launch disk utility from a spotlight search, the erase option is greyed out.... Thankfully, I did a Time Machine backup a few days ago.

2. PhyrePhox macrumors regular

PhyrePhox

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Unfortunately, some windows keyboards (sometimes the budget/generic brands) might not accept boot commands.
    But, the command + R still might work, if you try the correct keys.
    On a windows keyboard, should be Alt + R, so try that before you also try Windows + R.
    If neither key combo works, then you just need to try a different keyboard.

You may have one or more keys on the internal keyboard that might be stuck down, interfering with anything else you want to try with an external keyboard.

Finally, you may want to rethink the "factory reset" as a nice thing to do, but take it in for service in its current condition, particularly if your only reason is personal security. You already have a good backup of your drive, don't you?

4. PhyrePhox macrumors regular

PhyrePhox

You can also try just "R", or see if the keyboard has a Function or Fn key and use it with Windows-R or Alt-R.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Maybe
    But, I think that an Fn key does not provide any 'function' until the system software is loaded. The boot key combos are read by the hardware, and I don't recall seeing any boot functionality by keys other than the few primary ones that are natively supported.
    Maybe you have a different experience with that.

6. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Try just the alt key to see if that brings up the bootpicker.

7. PhyrePhox macrumors regular

PhyrePhox

In the keyboard controller, the "Fn" key may change the code sent by the modifier keys. This is all independent from the Mac. It's a long shot but not unheard of.

8. Mesut Ozil thread starter macrumors newbie

Alt+R worked on the external keyboard, eventually! Problem solved!

The keyboard is a Corsair Gaming K95. It has 2 USBs but only needed to plug one into the Macbook.

Thank you for all the replies!