Keyboard is wonky....(iPhone 4S, iOS 5)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ThrowMeTheIdol, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ThrowMeTheIdol, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

ThrowMeTheIdol macrumors newbie

Hey all. I'm new here so be nice. I did browse the forums and couldn't find anyone with this issue.

My iPhone 4S's keyboard isn't working properly and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue. Some letters will just not show up in the text field after typing them. I know the button is recognized because I hit the letter and the larger thumbnail of that letter appears above it. I do not hear the key click and it does not appear in the text field. Naturally, this is incredibly aggravating especially when it flares up. I don't think it has anything to do with how fast i type since sometimes the first letter I type is the one that is the one that's effected.

Obviously, this sounds like a software issue. I restored and that didn't do anything. There are settings like "Reset All Settings" and "Erase All Content and Settings". Might those help?

Thanks in advance.

[Edit: no fix with 5.0.1]

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

When you restored the phone did you make sure to "set up as a new iPhone" and not restore any backup data?

You are correct in that this is most likely a software issue. If you restored your phone but then put old backup data on it there is a fairly good chance that you reintroduced whatever was corrupted.

3. ThrowMeTheIdol thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the recommendation...but it didn't work. Is this something that is a widespread problem? Am I maybe just typing too fast? I'm just a little surprised because I didn't have this problem with android.... :-/

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It may just be how you're hitting the keys! You may think you are, but really aren't making the required contact. I did that, when I first got my iPad, because I was used to the Android keyboards. Try typing those same letters a little slower, making sure you're hitting them and see if they work.

5. ThrowMeTheIdol thread starter macrumors newbie

I did slow it down but the problem is still there. Perhaps to a lesser extent however. There are times where the first letter I press is the one that doesnt show up in the text field. I'm not sure if it's how i'm hitting the keys because it recognizes me hitting the key (thumbnail of the letter pops up) but it just doesn't show up in the field.

6. zelaya macrumors 6502

I have problem typing sometimes and I don't have big fingers.

7. andbgry macrumors newbie