Keyboard issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mimi-C, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Mimi-C, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

Mimi-C macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am a new member here, and am looking for help with my beloved MacBook.
    After an unfortunate incident with a glass of water, my MacBook seemed ok.

As I was drying it off, I pushed a couple of keys, (which I didn't think was a big deal at the time) but as I began typing to see if all was well, the keys were now typing in symbols. I checked the input method, and no keyboard options had changed. The system appeared to function normally, with the pesky problem of not producing letters.

Silly me, restarted the system thinking it may resolve the issue.
    Now I can't login, as it doesn't recognize my password. A trip to the Apple store didn't help, they advised I need a new keyboard and other component on the main board, all with an $800 estimate.

Before I go ahead with a repair, or purchasing a new unit, I am turning to you folks for any ideas or tips, or to see if anyone has had any success in the past in repairing a similar issue. I know it is entirely possible that I do need to replace the parts, but want to do a little extra troubleshooting before going ahead with a pricey repair.

I would appreciate any advice you may have!

Thanks in advance!

(Ps- I did search this issue and found a similar post from a few years back, but there were no responses so I thought I would repost for a fresh start.)

(PPS- I tried to reset the administrator password using the install CD, by pressing and holding 'c' on start up, but 'c' is no longer 'c',(it is a random symbol) so I cannot access the system options/commands.)

2. Mimi-C thread starter macrumors newbie

I did some digging and found I can replace the top case and use the instructions from ifixit.com

Just wondering if anyone has had success in doing this? My model is A1278, MacBook, alu unibody.

I have gone through the steps online, and am intimidated by the difficulty level. If this can correct my issue, it will be worth the $350 it will cost me, however based on the issue I described above, I am worried that this will quickly turn into a money pit...

3. Mimi-C thread starter macrumors newbie

4. upaymeifixit, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

It sounds like one of the option keys is being detected as suppressed. Does "QWERTYUIOP" come out as "œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπ" on the keyboard? Also make sure to press the option keys a few times just to make sure it isn't something that is stuck.

If you are able to plug in a USB keyboard you can probably get in again. If you do happen to get it you can follow these instructions and check which keys are being detected as suppressed.

5. Mimi-C thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I will try this.

6. Mimi-C thread starter macrumors newbie

upaymeifixit - Thanks for your suggestion, it seems to have worked!

So I connected a keyboard and after displaying the onscreen keyboard, it seems as though BOTH shift keys are stuck.

I am guessing a good tap won't fix this as they are both stuck but at least I have been able to see that the computer still works, and can now access my data.

Any suggestions on next steps for resolving the 'stuck' keys?

7. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I have never taken one of the keyboards apart, but it shouldn't be that hard. If you can take it apart you might be able to find where it is stuck and unstick it.