Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suedehead

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
just about 30min ago, my keyboard stopped working. however the function keys (audio, brightness etc) all still work, as do the tab key and backspace. non of the letters work (nor does the space or enter key etc)
i'm currently writing via a guest account on my imac and the same (in my user account faulty) keyboard works perfect (as you can tell).

i did mavericks update yesterday.

any ideas?

suedehead

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
yes, rebooted several times, deinstalled latest installed software.
it's the standard apple bluetooth keyboard that comes with an imac (which is a 2013/14 model)

edit
i just found out that the arrow keys, cmd key and shift also work (in my user account/everything works fine in the guest account).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
yes, rebooted several times, deinstalled latest installed software.
it's the standard apple bluetooth keyboard that comes with an imac (which is a 2013/14 model)

edit
i just found out that the arrow keys, cmd key and shift also work (in my user account/everything works fine in the guest account).
You might try unpairing/repairing. Do you have any keyboard-related software installed on your account?

suedehead

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
i've used the keyboard out of the box, so no software installed.
if with unpairing you mean this:
1. Remove keyboard batteries.
2. Turn off bluetooth on your mac.
3. Replace the batteries and turn on the keyboard.
4. This made the keyboard go into pairing mode.
5. Turn on bluetooth on the mac.

i've done that, but no dice. mind you the keyboard works perfect in the guest account, just not in my user (admin) account.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i've used the keyboard out of the box, so no software installed.
if with unpairing you mean this:
1. Remove keyboard batteries.
2. Turn off bluetooth on your mac.
3. Replace the batteries and turn on the keyboard.
4. This made the keyboard go into pairing mode.
5. Turn on bluetooth on the mac.

i've done that, but no dice. mind you the keyboard works perfect in the guest account, just not in my user (admin) account.

You may have already seen this article, but in case you haven't: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3048#8

suedehead

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
hey, i did see that article, but still thank you for helping me out. turns out, mouse keys (system pref - accessibility - mouse/trackpad) was enabled. for some reason.

thank you though. fixed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.