Keyboard issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NewYouSir, Apr 5, 2008.

1. NewYouSir macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have noticed when holding the delete key when erasing a word, sentence, etc..it seems to delete slowly. I can delete faster when tapping the delete key rapidly.
    I've also noticed as soon as I type something the pointer of the mouse goes away...
    Running 10.5 with all the updates...
    Am I being paranoid?:confused: or is this all normal?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can increase the key repeat rate in System Preferences, under the Keyboard & Mouse pane. As for the cursor disappearing: that's normal. It's a Mac's way of ensuring it doesn't get in the way.

3. ralex macrumors newbie

if you are using office for Mac, use 4 GB RAM instead of 1 or 2. Thats what i heard out there.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Actually, Office for Mac requires at least a 2.0GHz dual core processor, 5GB of RAM, 3TB of free disk space and six scantily clad secretaries with heaving bosoms. Anything less and you'll have to stick with TextEdit.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

One of the things that always irritates me about Windows is that when I go to type something, the I-beam pointer often ends up in the way. Apple fixed that. As to the repeat rate, surely you checked your settings under "keyboard and mouse" in the System Preferences...?

Nobody can express their obsession about their computer like a Mac owner with access to an online forum...;)

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

Wha??? Where did you hear that? I don't think that relates to key repeat rates... must have been some slow typing going on in the early 90's with 64kb of ram.

7. Trip.Tucker Guest

That made me laugh out loud :D Good to go to bed with a smile on my face.

8. NewYouSir thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all for your advice!

all is good now....seems like the technicians that replaced my keyboard on my macbook were just messing around w/the settings to ensure full functionality i guess....just increased the keyboard rate like advised and all is good now:D

9. gtimark macrumors member

Interesting. My 3 week old MB also had a similar problem as yours. I finally narrowed it down to the "\" key and the "delete" key. For some reason, they did not work consistently. Since my MB was nearly new, the techies simply swapped out my HD and gave me a new machine.

I wonder what the problem is with the key board integrity???

10. NewYouSir thread starter macrumors newbie

I increased the rate to the max...and that fixed the issue. Im thinking the new keyboard update had to do something with it. How is your new machine, hope everything turned out good for you:D

11. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

if you are a moderator are you really supposed to me this misleading?

nonetheless your comment was pretty funny!

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It is my job, nay my duty to mislead. Divide and conquer, that's what we're told.