Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Having intermittent issues: keys repeating, sometimes sticking, sometimes going "soft" as its not going down the whole way... definitely want this repaired by Apple, but I can't get it to do it on command! Brand new as of Dec 2016. It happens whenever it wants. Keys plagued: the 6 key, i, space bar, and enter key. I recognize that there may be debris caught in the keys. I'm not a messy person, but do use my computer extensively day in and out. It doesn't seem to be holding up to normal wear and tear.

I have an Apple Genius appointment tomorrow (under AppleCare). Any tips on successfully getting them to repair this thing? Have you had this issue? I'm afraid they're going to say "We can't repeat the issue, no problem found."

Thoughts/help on getting a keyboard replaced?

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Are you still under a year? (didn't see which day you bought it)

I'd raise a serious fuss.
There is ample real world evidence of these issues and I would not accept anything but a replacement/fix.

Also, if you are under a year, make sure to buy extended AppleCare (which can still be done, not the Plus kind, just normal AC) if you're going to keep it.

The 2016's are going to be long term lemons (the keyboards)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
I’m under 3 year warranty. I would love to get this thing replaced. Already got the screen replaced. How do I get it replaced? Can an Apple store do that or should I call in?

creativesmith

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
When in a similar situation, and because there's no nearby Apple store, had to send the MBP back to Apple. They send you a return-shipping box, etc. The turnaround was amazingly quick, just a few days. The keyboard was replaced. Whether you go to the store or send it in, please be sure to do a full backup.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Simple answer:
TAKE IT BACK to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store.

If they can reproduce the problem, they'll probably replace the entire topcase.
You -can't- just "replace the keyboard", the whole topcase needs to be swapped out.
The cost of this (parts and labor) is about $700 -- but you have the warranty, right?

DON'T WAIT on this. Get it done!

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
Has anyone encountered these problems on a 2017 model? I promised myself not to read these threads but here I am lol.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Yes, some people have had the problem with the 2017 models as well.

To the OP, here's my experience with my 2016 15" TB MBP, which has had its keyboard replaced just last weekend:

I ordered it as soon as they became available and received it in December 2016 and immediately started having intermittent issues with the B key repeating, but since I had to head overseas for several months I couldn't get it checked out right away. Like with yours, it was impossible to demonstrate it on command because it was too intermittent.

When I got back to my home country I took it to the nearest Apple Store (several hours away from where I live) and they couldn't see anything obviously wrong, and I couldn't reproduce the issue, so they "cleaned it out" and wanted me to see if it improved, but they also ordered in a replacement top case part (which as others have noted is what gets replaced when they replace the keyboard: the case, keyboard, battery, touch pad, etc) so they could replace it if it wasn't fixed. By the time the replacement top case arrived I was back home and it hadn't yet exhibited the issue again, so they closed the repair case but said I could re-open it later.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I had to head overseas again (for a few months) and of course the B key started acting up, so I put up with it until I got back to my home country last week. I was able to schedule another appointment with the Apple Store, quoting the existing repair case number, and have them order in the part again in advance of me getting there. Down to the Apple Store (3.5 hours away), I checked the laptop in and they said they'd try to get the part replacement done that day, but it wasn't until the next day that it was completed, which was obviously quite inconvenient but 36 hour turnaround is pretty good in the scheme of things!

So now I have a brand new keyboard (and track pad, batteries, top case and I assume Touch Bar!), and the keyboard also happens to be the revised version that feels better, is quieter and has slightly different markings (it has the symbols instead of "alt" text etc on the control/option keys) and it's all behaving properly....... so far.

They did this for free, as they of course should since at this point it's a known manufacturing/design flaw. You shouldn't have trouble convincing them, but stand your ground if they try to give you the run-around, pointing out that it's the top of the line product, the expense, and that you buy Apple because it's supposed to be the best quality, and keyboards shouldn't have issues on $3000+ laptops.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Has anyone encountered these problems on a 2017 model? I promised myself not to read these threads but here I am lol.

Yes, some have, but from my own observations it appears the number of people having issues has been reduced substantially.

AZ Jack

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2016
I too bought my 13" MBPro TB early, Jan. of 2016. From the start, I had minor glitchy problems with the keyboard. Occasionally, I would have a key stick, or make a weird noise, especially when the laptop would get warm from charging. But none of this was more than just a slight annoyance. Also, if you have ready any of my few posts on the topic, you know I have had kind of a love-hate relationship with the keyboard. I like the form factor and feel of the keyboard, but have always been frustrated with how loud it is when I type.

Skip forward to about a month ago and I started having problems with my 6 key. Frequently when I pressed the key, it would repeat two more times, resulting in typing "666" instead of just "6". I kid you not! Despite the overall creepiness of this development, it was becoming a major pain when using spreadsheets. When I took the laptop into the genius bar, I learned it would have to be sent away to have the keyboard replaced with roughly a 3 day turnaround. So I finally bit the bullet over Thanksgiving and got it done. Be warned, if you do this, they wiped my hard drive! Fortunately, I had a time machine backup. They also replaced the logic board, part of the case, and I got a new battery.

Now that I have had the newly replaced keyboard for about a month, I can report there is very clearly a difference. The new keyboard is still louder than I would like, but a bit quieter than my original keyboard none-the-less. More noticeable is the build quality and feel. It just has a much more solid and consistent feel to it when I type. It is much easier to "type quieter" when I absolutely have to, which still requires concentration on my part. No doubt in my mind, the keyboards they are installing today are improved over what they were originally using.

Reactions: FocusAndEarnIt

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
When in a similar situation, and because there's no nearby Apple store, had to send the MBP back to Apple. They send you a return-shipping box, etc. The turnaround was amazingly quick, just a few days. The keyboard was replaced. Whether you go to the store or send it in, please be sure to do a full backup.

I had an issue with my 2012 MBP and did the same. Called Apple support and started my issue there. Rather than drive to the nearest Apple Store -which isn't exactly close at least 2x for drop-off and pickup, they sent me a box, label. Repair time was ridiculously fast. Called on Monday afternoon, box arrived/shipped Tuesday afternoon had my MBP back by Thursday before Noon.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Update: so, I took it in and they're going to replace the top case. I should have it back this week. This is the second major repair on this Mac - first the screen, now the top case. I had no idea I would also be getting a new battery with a top case replacement! That's exciting as I had already put 400 cycles on it. Fingers crossed this fixes the issue.

Now that I have had the newly replaced keyboard for about a month, I can report there is very clearly a difference...
Awesome. Thank you for your feedback. I too had an issue with my 6 key, although it was 66. Haha.

Reactions: AZ Jack

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
well I got it back and hopefully will be okay. I definitely got an upgraded keyboard as the option, control keys have different markings on them. what i'm shocked by though is that they changed a system setting! I was trying to delete something on a Word document, and it was taking forever to delete. they changed my "delay until repeat" setting to be SUPER long under my keyboard preferences in System Preferences, i thought there was something wrong it was so long. Wow!

Last edited:

slimwallet

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2015
I have the 2016 15" touchbar MBP and had repeating key issue as well. They replaced the top case with the updated keyboard (different symbol on control key). After a few months I got the repeating issue again.. Will be getting the top case replaced a second time. Hopefully we won't have to pay $700 every couple months out of warranty to maintain a working keyboard.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
they changed my "delay until repeat" setting to be SUPER long under my keyboard preferences in System Preferences, i thought there was something wrong it was so long. Wow!

For what it's worth, they didn't change this setting on mine. I wonder if during testing they change this for some reason and forgot to change it back again. (I know, for example, that replacing the top case involves some recalibration of things, including a full calibration of the new top case's track pad)

Edit: typo.

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryDJP

herby130

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2016
Gulf Breeze, FL
I keep reading through all these threads trying to find an individual that had this happen outside of warranty? My issue is your replacement keyboards are still going to have the same issue. One question I do have, is 2 years down the road and you need your battery replaced do you have to pay the same $700 since it's attached to the upper casing and keyboard.

Last edited:

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I keep ready through all these threads trying to find an individual that had this happen outside of warranty? My issue is your replacement keyboards are still going to have the same issue. One question I do have, is 2 years down the road and you need your battery replaced do you have to pay the same $700 since it's attached to the upper casing and keyboard.
Battery replacements are a flat $199 fee for the latest MacBook Pros if out of warranty. https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I keep ready through all these threads trying to find an individual that had this happen outside of warranty? My issue is your replacement keyboards are still going to have the same issue. One question I do have, is 2 years down the road and you need your battery replaced do you have to pay the same $700 since it's attached to the upper casing and keyboard.

I wouldn't worry about the battery honestly..
The keyboards on these are going to the continual (and super expensive) problem.

Just today, the 2016 in our house has a space bar that started sticking..
Heeeere we go. :-(

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I wouldn't worry about the battery honestly..
The keyboards on these are going to the continual (and super expensive) problem.

Just today, the 2016 in our house has a space bar that started sticking..
Heeeere we go. :-(
All the issues about the 2016 and 2017 mac book pros, make me glad that i kept my 2015 15", have the legacy ports and magsafe :). Only got the display replaced because i dropped it

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
All the issues about the 2016 and 2017 mac book pros, make me glad that i kept my 2015 15", have the legacy ports and magsafe :). Only got the display replaced because i dropped it

Yep - I have a 2015 15" myself - the "problem machine" (2016) is my wife's
No keyboard issues here! ;-)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Annnnd following up... My keyboard went out again, despite it being replaced with the slightly modified 2017 keyboard. I'm getting a 2018 replacement machine after pressing Apple on it. Hoping this new 3rd generation keyboard butterfly mechanism can actually stand the test of time and be a reliable Mac, the Mac I paid for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.