Keyboard issues on Santa Rosa Macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdfTT123, Nov 7, 2007.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I'm thinking about going out to the apple store tomorrow to get a mid-rang white Macbook, but I just started reading about keyboard defects. Is this common among all the units and how bad does this problem get? Should I hold off on a Macbook because of this problem? Thanks.

2. jcs1088 macrumors regular

just got my macbook today and yeah the keyboard is faulty. on my mac it'll randomly stop working. i don't know exactly what's going on but hopefully the next sofware update will fix it

3. obx macrumors newbie

I got mine on the day that they came out. No problems. I have used it quite a bit. Good luck.

4. Red Sox macrumors regular

no problems with hardware, except in boot camp, keyboard shortcuts don't work because I think there are faulty drivers for the keyboard.

5. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

Chalk up another mark for the faulty keyboards. I just bought by 2.2 GHZ Black Macbook on Monday and today for the first time I woke it up from sleep and went to finish up a convo in iChat and the keyboard wouldn't work. Tried clicking on a few other apps to see if I could type in those, but it was to no avail. A simple reboot fixed it, but still...that's pretty dumb. Hope it's fixed soon.

:(

Edit P.S. No I wouldn't let this make you hold off on getting a MacBook. They are still really really nice and for me it has not happened more than once.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've noticed that a few of my keys have corners that stick up.

I've needed to change how I press the keys as well. I often end up missing letters in my words.

7. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

got a stock 2.2 blackbook today and so far all seems good ..... only negative thing i have noticed so far is the keyboard seems clunky on certain keys .... otherwise its an amazing upgrade from my old 2.0 mbp

8. jhu2 macrumors member

yea my sr macbooks keyboard is a bit tighter than the older macbooks, but maybe its something that needs to be broken in. I don't think that this is something that would keep me from getting one. they are awesome!

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

10. Redline13 macrumors 6502

I picked up a SR Macbook on the day they were released and have had no problems with the keyboard.

11. johnboy586 macrumors newbie

Been using mine frequently since friday, no issues here.

12. johnl85 macrumors newbie

My keyboard stopped working once. I thought I had caused it, but apparently I didn't. I simply rebooted and it worked fine.

13. twinsdad macrumors member

I haven't had a keyboard issue yet after four days.

14. portuglish08 macrumors member

Bought mine last Thursday, and no keyboard issues here; only battery.

15. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I have a genius bar appointment tomorrow for my macbook keyboard. I have had mine stop working 3 times in the past 2 days. Ill be sure to tell you how they sort it out.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My keys are a little clunky but I haven't encountered the input failure. :eek:

17. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Mine is experiencing some input failure. If I whack the laptop on its side, it works again, and if I reboot, it works. Not sure what the heck is going on here. If it persist, then I am off to the Genius bar. Maybe I have a loose ribbon cable?

18. Fatty McGeek macrumors newbie

No problems here. Of course, I just got my blackbook yesterday, but I've been playing with it for almost 24 hours non-stop. I say don't worry too much about it, this is one SWEET laptop. :apple: rocks!

19. Celeron macrumors 6502a

No problems here, picked it up last Thursday when they came out, works fine.

20. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

Another interesting thing just happened to mine. I woke it up from sleep while it had my USB Mighty Mouse plugged in and when it woke up it would not work at all. I tried unplugging it, even logging out and logging back in. The trackpad worked fine but my USB mouse wouldn't work at all. I finally rebooted and then it worked. Not sure if it had something to do with my computer or not.

21. GoxKok macrumors member

GoxKok

im having the exact same problem over here with my keyboard too, except im on a SR MBP! Whats the deal, is it a software issue? I never had this problem before leopard but it hardly seems like an OS could screw up the physical keyboard...:confused:

22. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

No problems here, got my 2.2 G Black Macbook last night and works like a dream

23. KristenM macrumors regular

I've been having this problem with my 8 day old SR Macbook. I had no problems for the first few days and then it happened once or twice a day for a few days. By last night it was doing it every few minutes. I brought it to the nearest apple store this morning where they said they hadn't heard of this problem and there was no information on it in their support system and asked me to try to recreate the problem. Ummm...if I don't know what the problem is then how can I recreate it?! Drove an hour each way plus stayed and played with it for 45 mins and it was fine so they sent me home and told me if it kept happening to bring it back later in the week and they would ship it out for a new keyboard since they don't have them in stock. I'm pissed. Seriously pissed. I understand that it's a new piece of equipment and a new OS to boot but to not try anything? Anyways...rant over.

24. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Without even being able to replicate the problem, they replaced it for me. So I say have no fears in getting a new MB, because if there is a keyboard error, they will give you a new one :)

25. KristenM macrumors regular

I wish I had that kind of luck. :(
    I'm stuck with a crappy keyboard that is going out every few minutes now.