Keyboard issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Molson502, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Molson502 macrumors newbie

Molson502

Hi there,

So a few weeks ago my new MacBook with butterfly keyboard survived a spill from sprite. Naturally, I turned it off and flipped it upside down and kept it that way for a few days. Luckily enough My MacBook is working perfectly, everything except the keyboard. I realized that while all of my keys are working, they have a spongey and non-tactile feeling on quite a few of them. It is a pretty annoying thing to deal with, especially while typing essays. I thought that I could just remove the keys and wash them off and everything would be okay so after watching basically all of the youtube videos on the topic. The made it seem simple enough, so I decided to try it on one of the most useless keys. Anyways about ten minutes later I had unlatched the clips at the top only to realize that the key wasn't being released as in the videos and was in fact stuck. I would love to get some advice on how to resolve this, also if you have any tips for remove other keys in the future the correct way it would be greatly appreciated because as I type this all out with this keyboard I am struggling immensely. Pics of key in question are attached.

Thanks a ton!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    Okay so update on that I eventually decided to pull a little harder on the key and it did come of successfully and was not broken and I put it back on and everything is working fine. I would love to do this to the rest of my problem keys and wold love some advice from anyone who has done this in the past. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. robvas macrumors 68020

I would replace the whole keyboard. It would be very difficult to get all of the sticky residue out from under them and you're going to end up with keys that don't register, double-hit, etc