Keyboard issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ShukuenShinobi, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ShukuenShinobi macrumors newbie

Howdy Macrumors.

I bought, or rather, I received a Macbook Pro as a graduation gift back in June of 07. It's worked like a charm, and I love it, however, a few things have started to happen.

It's my main computer, so I use the thing every day, toting it to and from school, constantly on, and constantly running some sort of Adobe ap. I've noticed the battery being total crap as of late, hardly lasting an hour and a half or so on minimal settings. To top it off, I believe it got some water damage one morning, as the U and 7 keys have stopped working.

My question is, should I order a new keyboard, and attempt to install it myself? Or just deal with the problem? The store my aunt got it from (Circuit City. >_<) doesn't service Macs anymore, so they can't fix it or replace it. And, since it's no longer covered by warranty, I doubt the Apple Store will do much to help.

Thanks in advanced.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

With regards to the battery, how many cycles do you have? Have you routinely (every week or so) drained it and charged it to full throughout its life? Sounds like its pretty well shot, maybe you didn't take care of it well enough?:(

You could get the new keyboard and install it yourself, i don't think i'd be that difficult. I guess the alternative is live with it...how much does a new keyboard cost?

3. ShukuenShinobi thread starter macrumors newbie

About 98 or so. I "let" it drain about once a week or once ever two weeks. By let, I mean it dies on me at school at least once a week. The only days it comfortably sits with power is Sunday.

And from what I heard about the keyboard, there's a lot you have to do, and I'm not much of the handyman, so I was kinda worried about it. I was curious if anyone else on here replaced MBP keyboards before, just to get an idea. A new one runs about $180 or so I believe, need to check.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Is your battery covered by that recall they had? If it is, you can get it replaced.

5. ShukuenShinobi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure, do you have a link at all? If not, I can search for it, shouldn't be too hard to find.