Keyboard Key Broken

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gala, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Gala macrumors regular

My "R" key seems to be broken. The key itself seems to have a hinge on the left side of the key and it allows the key to swing up.

Underneath the key it looks like there is a box like attachment that the key should click in to. On the underside of key I think there are 2 small circular tabs that look like they are the parts that attach to this white box. I think one of the small circular tabs may have broken.

Any advice out there on how to fix it? If i click the "R" key back down it clicks back in perfectly but then will pop up again when I start typing for longer periods of time. I also, do not have Apple Care and it is a 2011 Macbook Pro.

2. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Have you tried pressing it back on? You can buy seperate keys on ebay, but first make sure that something actually broke off.

3. Gala thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I've tried pressing it back on. If I press it down all the way it clicks in and will work for a little then pops back up a little. I haven't taken it off completely. I don't want to break anything.

4. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Same here with my Shift key.
    Allready called Apple, it will be fixed under warranty.

Attached Files:

5. Gala thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly the same thing with mine. 1 year warranty or Apple Care? I didn't get Apple Care and it's been over a year.

6. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

In Romania, because of the EU Laws, you have 2 year warranty. (Macs, iPhones, everything)
    So they will fix it under my 2 year warranty :)

7. liya1201 macrumors member

What the coincidence it was that I had my "R" key broken in my cMBP 2012 just like the OP has described; the right side of the key had opened but the left side was still attached. I took it to the Apple store and the genius used her long nail to remove both the upper (black) and bottom (white) parts of the key and installed a new "R" key. It took less than 5 minutes and free of charge under Applecare.

8. Gala thread starter macrumors regular

alright sounds good, im just gonna bring it to them one of these days. Like I stated above, I don't have Apple Care but they have always helped with something simple if they could. Shouldn't be too big of a deal considering the computer almost costs 2Gs.