Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Wondering if anyone has experienced this..

specifically within the messages app. Its not all the time, but there will be many times where the keyboard is laggy. its slower to input the text. However when looking through the app store its very responsive when typing/very fast. I go back to the sms and its very quick again. Then it gets laggy over time.

I have (full) restored almost every night this week. even went to the extent of creating a new user account to re-download the firmware.

I have noticed the same issues on my dads phone. He did not restore, unlike me. I assume its just a small bug, but its kind of annoying!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
jailbroken?

Download the altered carrier file?

Have you altered your operating system in ANY way other than official Apple releases?

curious

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2008
neither phone is jail broken.

i will say that on monday i did try to get MMS. meaning i did download the file thats going around, and i did install it. However i wanted no problems when it came to the 25th. So i deleted it. That was the first time i did a full restore this week.

My fathers phone has no jail break, and has not altered any of the carrier or whatever.

I figured my full restore of the phone (and even restore on a diff user) would get rid of any trace of that altered file. I don't see the mms icon anymore either.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I figured my full restore of the phone (and even restore on a diff user) would get rid of any trace of that altered file. I don't see the mms icon anymore either.

Still I wonder how many people that claim 3.1 is screwing up their phone have done SOMETHING to their phone whether it be carrier files, jailbreaking, or any other "tampering". Not pointing a finger at you. But ultimately - if you start messing with things you don't REALLY know about - and something "breaks" - it's no one's fault but the user who did it.

Again - just throwing it out there since people are bitching about 3.1... Personally I have had ZERO problems since I got my 3gs on launch day.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Still I wonder how many people that claim 3.1 is screwing up their phone have done SOMETHING to their phone whether it be carrier files, jailbreaking, or any other "tampering". Not pointing a finger at you. But ultimately - if you start messing with things you don't REALLY know about - and something "breaks" - it's no one's fault but the user who did it.

Again - just throwing it out there since people are bitching about 3.1... Personally I have had ZERO problems since I got my 3gs on launch day.

yeah i know. I did do the full restore, which set the phone back to factory. and my fathers phone is more pure than me, seeing as he has not restored once, and did not alter anything.

Its not big time lag, but its noticeable if your a fast typer. like the keys stay on the screen just a .3 longer. when pressing down. i can still type fast, but it does not keep up with me. Still types the entire message just its slightly noticeable.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

jmann said:
Did you put the phone into DFU mode before restoring?

Why would he need to do a DFU restore???

jcmoney1010

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007

I haven't made one altercation to my phone and have had no problems up until i downloaded 3.1. Since the download my keyboard lags about 5-6 times a day, and my slide to unlock screen lags about 9-10 times a day. I always have to turn the phone off and then back on. This issue started the morning after I downloaded 3.1, its the update not the other stuff people have been doing

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2008
3g or 3gs? regardless everyone seems to be having these small issues. so hopefully it gets sorted soon

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I haven't made one altercation to my phone and have had no problems up until i downloaded 3.1. Since the download my keyboard lags about 5-6 times a day, and my slide to unlock screen lags about 9-10 times a day. I always have to turn the phone off and then back on. This issue started the morning after I downloaded 3.1, its the update not the other stuff people have been doing

Did you update or did you do a full restore? I realize that having to do a full restore is a PITA and that the fact that it's even necessary is absurd, but maybe it will help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.