Keyboard Language Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iWinnipegger, Apr 8, 2007.

1. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

Hi, i'm currently a student of japanese, and was wondering how you can change the language of the keyboard to japanese. Just wondering, because i need to be able to type quickly in japanese and don't know how to do this on a Mac. Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the International settings of System Preferences, head to Input Menu and change it to Japanese. :)

3. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Go to your System Preferences, International -> Input Menu and enable the "Kotoeri" input method. You can also set up the input switching short-cut there — I believe the default is Cmd-spacebar. Hitting that will then switch between English and Japanese input.

Good luck with your Japanese! Gambatte-kudasai!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Unfortunately, COMMAND-SPACEBAR conflicts with Spotlight in Tiger, so it'll need to be changed. This can be done in the Keyboard Shortcuts or the Input Menu pane, and is quite simple to do. :)

5. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Right, I remember being annoyed by that when I upgraded to Tiger. Cmd-spacebar has always been the default keyboard switcher, but sometimes I get the feeling all Apple's Quality Assurance people are monolinguals who never test in anything but English with a US keyboard.