Keyboard language question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kylera, Nov 5, 2011.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

While OS X allows me to switch languages for input with keyboard shortcuts, what I don't like about OS X's implementation is that the language applies system-wide. In Windows, you could set it so for example, you can chat with a friend in Japanese while you have a Word document open and type in English without having to change the layout every time you swap applications. Does OS X have such a function?

2. ozp macrumors newbie

I believe that this will work:

Go to Preferences -> Language & Text -> Input Sources

then under "Input source options" select "Allow a different one for each document"

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

You should get rid of the "I believe" part and replace with "This is how it's done." That is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks!

4. kulimer macrumors 6502

How do you switch? It's disabled because cmd + space is a reserved shortcut for spotlight. I have tried to set another shortcut, but no response when I tried it.

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

Disable that "reserved shortcut for spotlight" or replace it with another one.
    I use a Japanese copy of OSX 10.6.8 and that works just fine (you do have to manually select English and then your preferred Japanese input method (hiragana etc) once using the upper right menu bar icon, but after that the Command+Space bar key combo works).
    I think this is what you need to do to get your new shortcut working.
    Using a Japanese keyboard, there is a "eisu" (literally English numbers, but actually English!) and a "kana" on the left and right, respectively, of the space bar that work too when you want to switch languages.:cool: