Keyboard Layout: English USA vs. English International - Which Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macNewbie02, Jun 22, 2012.

?

Keyboard Layout - Which Do You Prefer?

1. I prefer English USA keyboard layout.

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. I prefer English International keyboard layout.

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Doesn't matter to me - both are fine.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. macNewbie02, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Hey,

As you all know Apple has two types of keyboard layout:

English USA:
    [​IMG]

English International:
    [​IMG]

Which one do you prefer?

2. Teo Morabito macrumors member

U.S style all the way, it's just much nicer and has a much better balance to it (the two shifts are the same size...)
    And it also doesn't interfere with the nice lines flowing in the keyboard.

3. Rizzm, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

Rizzm macrumors 6502a

I've never used the international version but as far as I can tell, I would prefer the U.S. version. I like the wide enter/return and shift keys; anything to help extend farther out keys more inward to my hands is preferred.

4. Teo Morabito macrumors member

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

6. macNewbie02 thread starter macrumors regular

What F5 and F6 do on a USA keyboard layout?

7. Teo Morabito macrumors member

the backlighting on MBP ?

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I would prefer the International one, simply as I have never used the usa one.

To be correct though I switch between a hungarian and a danish one depending upon the computer I use.

9. kamran9558 macrumors regular

I am in the UK but have ordered the US version as the "shift" and "@" keys are quite odd in UK version

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Agreed. I use the tilde key so much, I'd hate to see it moved. I would however like a dedicated hash key… maybe in place of one of the characters under the escape key.

11. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Always the US version. I positively cannot stand the vertical enter-key. That alone is a reason for me order BTO, as you cannot get the US keyboard here of the shelf.

----------

So, what is the difference between hitting shift and the key next to it, or hitting shift and the key that's 3 above it? It's still two key strokes and both are arguably just as easy to reach. If you would have said the £ (option-3 on US, versus shift-3 UK) or some other keys that don't even exist on the US version, I would understand. But the ~, no. :)

12. ND40oz macrumors newbie

I'm sure it's just what you're used to, but I can't stand the international, go to hit enter and end up with \

13. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

USA version but I'm sure I could switch to the international version if needed. I agree that the return key is weird.

14. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I'm in Europe too, and that enter key is horrible. I don't mind it being vertical at all, but in that case it should have been bigger. The way it is now, the top part is only as big as a letter key, while the bottom part is even narrower! That's useless for a key that's used so much.

I love what Apple have done with the Japanese keyboard's enter key (but there the brackets are much worse):
    [​IMG]

If I order new I definitely order the US style, but since I often buy refurbs I don't get to have that choice. I tend to buy refurb and then resell them the next year so I'm always only 1 model year behind, I find refurbs keep their value quite well compared to new models.

15. macNewbie02 thread starter macrumors regular

This Japanese keyboard looks interesting - I didn't know they have a diiferent layout, I might have added it as an option to the poll ;)