Keyboard layouts on MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tex-Twil, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I'm a PC user and I've been waiting for several months, as many other pple here, for a MPB refresh to get myself one.

I would like to ask you your opinions about the keyboard layout possibilities. I'm currently living in Berlin but I'm French so I would like to have either a FR or US or UK keyboard.

First I thought that I will for sure get a FR one but now I'm thinking about the day when I will sell my MBP. I guess I will have less chances to sell a French keyboard than a us/uk qwerty. If a really need to write something long en french, I can buy a usb french keyboard that will do it.

I've also just read about the keyboard replacement. So maybe there is a possibility to get a FR keyboard and buy US replacement and put it on the MBP the day when I want to sell it. Is it easy to replace a keyboard on a MBP ?

Last but not least, I saw two pictures here showing the difference between a US and a UK keyboard but I can't find them anymore. Could somebody post them again ?

Thank in advance for your opinions.

cheers,
    Tex

2. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Protip: By what YOU will be most happy with. Don't buy with the plan of selling it.

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

4. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Yep. Now that I know that the keyboard can be replaced, I think I will opt again for the FR keyboard :)

5. operator207 macrumors 6502

You understand that replacing a MBP keyboard includes pretty much taking it apart completely? We are not talking about a simple plug n' play KB.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'd get whatever will be least cumbersome for you as you use it.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Someone at the library asked me for some Mac help and I tried to help. Everything was in French, which okay cause I took French in school, but the keyboard was crazy!

In other words, I hope you've used AZERTY keyboards before cause everything is different.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Get whatever keyboard is available. You can change the layout with software, then if you really need to, you can simply pop the keys off and reorganize them to match what you want. I see people doing it all the time, but mainly between US/Canada Keyboard and DVORAK.

TEG