Keyboard Layouts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adlos, Nov 25, 2007.

1. adlos macrumors newbie

Ok, so I have one tiny, probably even stupid, but very important, question to ask. You see , I'm still really new to mac and I haven't been able to understand how to dig up in preferences and configurations like I did on a pc, but I'm getting there slowly.

My questions now is about the keyboard's layout. Since I don't know how to put it I'm gonna take as reference my PC. You see, back in that PC I had configured the keyboard as Spanish - International. That way the whole keyboard is exactly what it looks like , for example , when I'd pressed the key of " ; " that's what would be typed, and the most important is that besides being even easier to write since I typed what I pressed on the keyboard , it also gave the advantage of the infamous "n" with the "~" on top (see how I can't even type it now? :( ). The way I would type it was to press SHIFT + ` (that is, the key that's next to the key of the number 1) and that's how it appeared. It was easy, fast and perfect for me, since everything in the keyboard stayed the same. However , I've tried a lot and I can't find how to do that on Mac, running Leopard.

I try to describe this as much as I can so I can give the right idea of what I'm trying to do and how I accomplished it on a PC.

In Leopard, in International, system preferences; when I clicked in Spanish - ISO , is not the same as it was on the PC. The Spanish layout doesn't work that way either. English- extended looks like English standard to me and not like what I'm trying to do it.

So my question is, does anyone knows what I'm talking about? And if you do, can anyone help me? Please...?

2. adlos thread starter macrumors newbie

No one? Really? :( I wish I could figure it out on my own...

Edit: Nevermind now , I figured out how to do it. So thanks anyway those who bothered to even read this thread =).

Useful link on special characters:

hXXp://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/index.html

Just replace the XX with tt.

3. Cams macrumors regular

Glad you got it figured out That's a useful site you've linked to - duly annded to del.icio.us! I'm on my MacBook now but I hardly ever use it and we just got an iMac yesterday. I type a lot in Russian and my wife uses French and German so the accented characters and different character set I anticipate will be quite frustrating. We're both ingrained Windows users and it's actually driving my wife nuts right now. This is the first evening that she's tried to do any proper work on the iMac and she's not having fun at all. It's quite a transition to be sure. Anyway, just wanted to thank you for the link.

4. shwc macrumors regular

use the built in keyboard viewer (& select different keyboards)

put the keyboard viewer into your menu bar...
    1) open system preferences
    2) select international
    3) select the input menu tab
    4a) check the box next to "keyboard viewer."
    4b) you may also wish to check "character palette"
    4c) select your keyboard layout of choice

This process places the keyboard/input device menu into your menu bar.

Now you can pull up the keyboard viewer from the menu bar. To see the different options each key has (with the keyboard viewer showing) hit the shift key, now try the option key, no try holding both keys down).