Keyboard light sensor issue on new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nonnynz, Oct 21, 2008.

1. nonnynz macrumors newbie

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. My keyboard backlight worked correctly at first. However, yesterday I noticed that it had started working in reverse (i.e. the keyboard would get bright in a well lit room, and dim in a dark room).

I called Apple, who had me reset the PRAM, and that seemed to solve the problem. However, this morning it was back to reverse. I noticed that it's possible to trick the sensor into going back to normal by playing different tricks on it (covering the sensor with your hand, playing the brightness controls, and turning the automatic backlight setting on/off in Preferences.) However, it will easily get confused again.

I've also noticed that sometimes, when it senses dark conditions, the light will turn on but then remain stuck at that brightness setting and not change until you put the computer to sleep or restart it. And then it will potentially come back to life in reverse mode.

Anyone experiencing anything vaguely similar to this? As I say, it does function properly sometimes and I don't want to return the computer if it ends up just being a firmware / software issue.

I searched these forums and noticed that initial MacBook Air owners had similar issues, but that it was fixed in 10.5.3.

2. PhillyXJ macrumors newbie

just noticed my keyboard lights get dimmer in the dark too. hmm

how did you reset that thinggymabob... I'll try that

3. nonnynz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Philly,

Just to make sure you're actually having an issue - please note that the way the keyboard is supposed to work, it should get brighter as the room gets darker, but then it should actually dim back down slightly when the room becomes dark. This is to reduce glare when the room is totally dark.

So if that's what it's doing for you, then it's normal. However, if it is actuallly completely backwards (lit up when the room is lit, off when the lights are off) that's the issue I'm having.

You can reset the PRAM by following these instructions:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379