Keyboard Lighting not working *photo added*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benwalker93, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Benwalker93, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

Benwalker93 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I recently purchased a second hand late 2008 Macbook Pro. This being my first Macbook I didn't think to test the keyboard lighting upon purchase. I have updated to Mavericks. The f5 an f6 keys work and the graphic comes up on screen as if the lights are responding.
    I did some researching and it's possible something may have been unplugged if the computers ram was changed and upgraded; is there a way to find out if the ram is standard or not? any suggestions to a fix or to test the hardware?

Regards

Ben

2. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

open the macbook and next to the ram is a ribbon ,that is the light for the keyboard, some people when the replace the ram, the ribbon can come unplug.

3. Benwalker93 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to remove the casing and there is a warranty sticker over one of the screws that need to be removed for access. Im unsure to it has been removed and re-stuck on. Should I just go ahead and remove the sticker to check?

4. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

do you have some kind of warranty with the macbook?
    what is the reason of the sticker been there?
    if not just remove the sticker and continue.

5. Benwalker93 thread starter macrumors newbie

I confirmed with apple that the ram had been changed at some point and went ahead to open it up. Following this thread as a guide on the parts as I am new to this:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1305637

However it appears mine is different: (i had no macro lens on hand sorry!)

[​IMG]