Keyboard lit, no 'breathing' light, screen off - sleep/crashed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laser71, Mar 8, 2011.

1. laser71 macrumors regular

Hi All,

MBP newb here - my computer went to sleep, so I tried to wake it by hitting the space bar. The breathing light turned off, the keyboard light turned on, but the screen remains off. Repeatedly tapping the trackpad and keys do nothing.

Is this normal, or did it crash? Some magically Apple trick that I'm missing? Same thing happened yesterday, I had to hold the power button to kill it.

It's sitting in front of me in this sate, so I can try out any suggestions.

Thanks

2. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

try pressing the increase brightness button

3. laser71 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I tried that but no luck - still a black screen.

Although oddly without me touching it for a couple of minutes it made a brief sound like someone turning up the volume once - but again, it hadn't been touched for several minutes at that point.

4. TheHoff macrumors 6502

This is the 2011 sleep issue. It has happened to me twice now. I'm sure there will be a firmware fix out soon for it.

The second time it happened, I opened and closed it slowly until it came back. Took a few times.

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

That's also randomly happening to me on my 2010 MBP for the last 6 months...

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Its happened a few times to me on my 13" 2011 MBP too. I'm not happy about it since I fully expect I'll loose some work one time it doesn't wake up. I have been holding the power button for 10 seconds until it completely powers off and then rebooting. Its a pita.

7. spob15 macrumors member

I have this happening with my MBA...have taken to genius bar 3x with no resolution...

8. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

This occasionally used to happen on my 2010 MBP, although since I have switched the HDD to an Intel X-25 SSD it hasn't happened (although that is not to say that it might not still happen...). It is some kind of crash.

9. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

I've had graphics corruption on a 6490M equipped 15-inch when it woke, though only once thus far. I also am expecting a firmware fix in the future.

Hard reset, and you're good to go. Hopefully the fix will be sooner than later.

10. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

This happened to me on the first 2011 15' 2.3 GHz MBP. It would not wake from sleep. I had to restart it every time by holding down the start button and pressing it a second time. I tried resetting PRAM, repaired permissions, and verified the start-up disk. Disk verify indicated my HDD volume was corrupt. I only had the computer two days. I tried fixing with the Mac OS X install disk. It would not boot from the disk. Took to the Apple Store. They replaced it. I am not having any issues yet on the replacement.

11. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I think everyone who has this issue and is under warranty needs to call it in. The only way it will get more priority is if the call volume for it goes up.

12. laser71 thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update to this -

I called Apple and got a very knowledgeable technical representative (apparently a 'senior adviser').

He went through my logs and programs and tracked the issue back to a driver I had installed for my USB attached display adapter. The adapter is a Diamond BVU195 and the software is made by a company called DisplayLink. He read the DisplayLink forums with me and we determined their drives are lousy and have a history of crashing computer son wakeup from sleep.

We removed the driver and I have not had an issue since.

I'm sure that won't help all of you, but hopefully will help someone at some point.

13. Dialego macrumors newbie

Unable to wake from sleep issue

I've got a Macbook Pro I7, February 2011, which has been intermittently going to sleep ever since I got it. Once it goes, the only remedy is to force it to power off and restart. Applecare haven't been able to solve it. I've recorded every instance, and haven't been able to find any consistent condition to hang it on. However, this week I'm on a conference, and the wretched thing is crashing every few minutes just when I'm doing presentations. In desperation, I turned off the keyboard backlight. Hasn't happened again since it's been off. I'm now wondering if it's an overheating problem caused by the keyboard backlight. My conference is in a HOT place, so that could be contributing as well.

14. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

That happens to me from time to time, but since i have my MBP locked with a password, i just type in my password (even though i dont see anything) and.. tada! It wakes up from sleep like usual.