Keyboard/Mouse combo for MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kearns, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Kearns macrumors newbie

I've just purchased a penryn macbook pro and I am currently looking for a keyboard/mouse combo.

I'd prefer not to spend much more than about a 130 or so on it. I'm looking for a keyboard that will work with my mac that is the most like a normal windows keyboard, at work I just use a basic Dell PC keyboard and that works fine, my previous home one was also a Dell keyboard from 2001 and that fit fine.

I want one that can have some degree of incline to it, and is relatively druable. My main problem with the keyboard on my actual laptop is that I feel its small and cramped. I dont really care about things like programable keys or special functions, I just want something that is large enough to type comfortably on.

I found the Cordless Desktop® S 530 Laser for Mac on logitech website but I read some reviews on here that mention its kind of flat.

For a mouse, i'm just looking for anything resembles a cheap PC mouse, again, like a simple Dell mouse with two buttons, a scroll wheel, and a basic shape (no complex curves or form fitting).

I'd prefer to have at least the mouse be wireless. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Pretty much any USB keyboard will work with your Mac. You can even use a Windows keyboard. Or wireless through BlueTooth.

Same goes for your mouse. Most USB, USB wireless, or BlueTooth mice will talk nicely to your Mac. If you go fancy, you may the functionality of one of those many buttons.

3. Kearns thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if you have any specific examples?

I'm nervous to buy something that i'm not totally sure will work

Thanks again

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Nothing specific comes to mind. I rarely use an external keyboard with my MBP, and my external mouse is wired.

I thought that if you are new to Macs, you might not know that the compatibility issue with peripherals isn't as big a problem with OS X compared to the kinds of problems that arise with "plug and play" devices on Windows.

When you find something in the store that looks and feels like it will be a good fit for you, bring your MBP along. If the store is serious about wanting to sell you a product, allowing you to test it out their display model shouldn't be a problem.

5. jfull15 macrumors 6502

the new Apple keyboard is amazing, and super easy to type on, plus all of the function keys are there specific to Mac-apps. The Mighty Mouse is nice too, but can get clogged from time to time. Overall, I love mine.