Keyboard Noise? (rMB vs rMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rhyzome, May 15, 2015.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

How does the noise when typing on the new rMB keyboard compare to the noise when typing on that of an rMBP?

I'm curious because I think it would be a great device to take notes on in certain contexts, but I'm uncertain how the noise of typing will be on the new keyboard, if it will be enough to distract people around me, etc.

2. lite426 macrumors regular

I have the same query,I intend to use it for similar purposes, where I will be taking dictation and typing. The Trusted Reviews review said it is noisy which concerned me. I made a thread too: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1882230

Quoting the review:

"Arguably the worst thing about the new keyboard is how noisy it is – I’m more aggressive in my typing than typical, so I had to make a conscious effort to type more gently in public spaces. You can type quietly on the MacBook, but it isn’t naturally quiet like the very best ThinkPad keyboards."

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I think this really depends on how you usually type on the keyboard.
    Yes, if you are an aggressive typer (banging on the keyboards with your finger tips,) then it may be noisy, but probably not any noisier than the current rMBP style keyboards.
    I like minimum time/efficiency, so i barely lift my fingers off from the keyboard (except when I have to use the delete key) and its been pretty silent the whole time. I've tested this thing in the libraries, commute, lecture halls, and it doesn't make any distracting noises.

P.S. I just tried banging on the keyboards, and while its audible, the only difference I can tell is this rMB keyboard sound being more "high pitch" than the old keyboards on rMBP.

4. tdrew macrumors newbie

5. Nychot macrumors 6502a

i like the noise and the tactile feel. light touch or hard touch its still the same clikety clack like a mechanical kb. yes, its noisy.