Keyboard not allowing Sleep.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hutchy, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Hutchy macrumors member

Hi there,

I have deduced that it is my apple white keyboard that is not allowing my iMac to go to sleep.

If I unplug the USB connector it goes to sleep and stays asleep, if the keyboard is plugged in, then it wakes and will not automatically sleep.

I have used TextEdit to see if there is an obvious key sticking but nothing comes up. (all the keys seems to work too).

Is there a program that will show you visually the inputs of the keyboard so maybe I can find out what is going wrong here?

Thanks for any help.

Paul.

2. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

The only thing that I can think of is the Keyboard Viewer which is located in the International System Preferences panel and it is located under the Input Menu tab of the control panel. Just checkmark the Keyboard Viewer in the window and open it up from the U.S. flag or whichever country you have set for your system language in the Menubar.

Here's a link to the video on Apple on how to do it...
    http://www.apple.com/business/theater/#tutorial=keyboardviewer

Hope this helps! :)

3. Hutchy thread starter macrumors member

yer, i got it up,

There still does not seem to be ANY key stuck in. I have also gone through all the keys and they are all working. Guess I'm stumped on this one. Might mean a new keyboard if it irritates me that much!!

Thanks for your help.

If you have any other ideas....;-)

4. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Do you have another Mac compatible USB keyboard you can try plugging in to see if your computer will go to sleep? If it does go to sleep with a different USB keyboard plugged in, then I would think there's a problem with your original keyboard.

5. Hutchy thread starter macrumors member

as an addition to my previous post, there ARE a random amount of button presses coming from the keyboard when the computer is asleep. It can range from an F key to the Option button to another random key. This only happens when it is in sleep mode.

The keyboard viewer is an amazing help!

Looks like i need a new keyboard.