Keyboard not Lighting up on my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spring, Nov 6, 2007.

1. spring macrumors regular

I'm in the libary right now using the laptop battery and I can't seem to turn on the keyboard back-light. Everytime I press the F8,F9,F10 keys I just get the little pop up menu with a "do not enter" type icon. I went to system preferences to make sure I turned the option on and the keyboard still won't light up. Is it because I'm using the battery?

(Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's my first Mac and I just got it 2 days ago, so I'm still trying to get accustomed to it.)

2. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

The keyboard backlight will only come on when you're in low light situations.

However, if you want to be able to turn it on any time you want, I did a search and there is a program called Lab Tick that may do what you want.

http://labtick.proculo.de/

3. spring thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I put papers on the speakers and that solved my problem. Beforehand I was just using my hand, so it was still probably bright enough not to trigger the light sensor.

I have another question, is it me or is the MBP keyboard not very sensitive? For example, if I don't press the key directly in the middle and/or I press the key somewhat lightly, it doesn't register.

4. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

Since you got it a couple of days ago, you're still in the break-in period. After a while you will be fine. Plus it's kind of good that it has some type of sensitivity to avoid accidental keyclicks.