Keyboard not working after waking from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bennymatthew, Feb 25, 2010.

1. bennymatthew macrumors newbie

I'm well sure this topic has come up before, but I've never seen it answered.

After waking my Mac mini from sleep, my keyboard won't respond at all. I tried:

- Plugging it into a different USB port, including the one on my monitor
    - Using the mouse to wake the computer up from sleep instead of the keyboard
    - Switching to a different, wired keyboard (had a wireless before)

Both keyboards used were off-brand (non-Apple) keyboards, but I've had a couple before these two that never had a problem whatsoever.

Anyone ever sorted this out?

Cheers.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

How do you get the keyboard to start working again? Do you have to restart?

3. bennymatthew thread starter macrumors newbie

I have to unplug the usb cable and plug it back in. And this is ALWAYS. It doesn't ever NOT do it.

4. blunderboy macrumors 6502

I think it's a weird bug with some generic non-Apple keyboards and OS X. I had a generic PC keyboard being used as an external keyboard with an old iBook G3, and it did the same thing. I'm pretty sure that keyboard said that it was "only" compatible with Windows—did yours say the same thing? I was wondering if it was just that computer, or if it was just an issue with Macs and some third-party keyboards.

5. sambojobo macrumors newbie

My keyboard doesn't work either

I am having the same problem and I am using a genuine 100% official MAC keyboard. Mine is not EVERY time I go to sleep mode. It seems if it is only asleep for a little while it will still work, but overnight and I may have to do a hard reboot. Any ideas?

6. kneh macrumors newbie

workaround

What's solving it every time on my laptop: putting the computer back to sleep en waking it up again. There's an keyboard schortcut alt+cmd+eject to put your computer to sleep.

I'm having this problem for a long time (since 10.5). It's not every time when waking up. While trying to narrow it down, I'm getting the impression that's the longer its sleeping the more frequent I'm getting this problem. I'm now on 10.6.4.

7. kneh macrumors newbie

solved ? until now

I rebooted my laptop in "safe mode" and zapped my P-ram yesterday.
    Until now, I had no occurences of this problem.
    I'll let you know if it comes back.