Keyboard on late 2013 rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TNM, Oct 25, 2013.

1. TNM macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was playing with the new macbooks in 2 shops here in Japan and I got curious about the keyboard.

It feels quite different from other macbooks. The older 13", new 15, MBA were all nearby and their keyboard felt much better in both shops I went by (one which was an official apple store).

This had a Japanese keyboard and it felt sort of like the keys where very loosely attached and lacked much feedback/resistance.

It also felt like the movement of the keys where smaller than other macbooks which I think is actually the reality (just look at how close the top of the key is to the aluminium chassis, definitely less than other macbooks) but I think this maybe was mostly noticable due to the lack of feedback/resistance.

Anyone else have noticed this?
    Japanese keyboards only?

2. whitehme macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new rMBP 15 inch and the biggest disappointment I have is the keyboard. They are just mushy soft contact keys that give no feedback. Very similar to what other makers such as HP are doing. My last mbp was a 2009 13inch model that felt like it had a higher quality keyboard.

3. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Interesting - great post, I will have to investigate because typing is my favourite activity on these machines. Be back soon!

4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

It's not just the Japanese keyboard. The rMBP keyboards have shorter key travel and a different feel than the ones in Air, or older MBP models.

I quite like the rMBP keyboard now that I'm used to it, but many prefer the longer key travel.

5. TNM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the feedback.
    May I ask you are you talking about the late 2013 rMBP or some other computer?

I felt that an older rMBP (early 2013) that was still in one shop had a better feel. I think the 15" late 2013 was better as well.

The 13" late 2013 had a cheap feel to it in both shops I tried it.

6. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Sorry, forgot to mention it. I'm talking about the 15" mid 2012 and 13" late 2012 models, I haven't had a chance to try the late 2013 yet.