Keyboard option for iPad Pro 12.9?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Noctilux.95, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

Just ordered the Pro 12.9 and in the process of shopping for a keyboard. Is the Apple keyboard simply the way to go or other brands make a good option? Thanks!

2. ejin222 macrumors regular

I have the Logitech slim combo and love it. There seems to be a lot of problems with the ASK but I haven't had any problems with my Logi

3. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Definitely some people have had problems with ASK. Others of us love it, though. It's the slimmest and lightest option.

4. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

5. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

6. ericwn macrumors 68020

Also have the Logitech slim combo and pretty satisfied with it. Much better typing experience than the Apple keyboard.
    If you only need the keyboard when at home maybe think about just a cool external Bluetooth keyboard. I’ve used external keyboards with my iPads for years and had no problems.

7. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

Get an Apple Magic Keyboard

or just go to the store and test them out. Best Buy has a few you can try. If you don't want to pay for the Smart Keyboard which doesn't have a function row or backlighting :(

8. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

I use the Magic Keyboard with mine. I can't type on the Smart Keyboard with any respectable speed and I don't like the feel of it.

The problems I have with every keyboard I've used with my iPad Pro is lag. I use keyboard shortcuts and am used to doing them fast, like on my MBP, but opening tabs in Safari lags often or takes three or four inputs to trigger and opening apps with Command + spacebar does the same thing.

The weirdest problem I've seen is Command + Tab on the external keyboard often brings up inaccurate apps...stuff that isn't open is there, stuff that is open and I was just using isn't there. Closing every thing and shutting it down doesn't seem to do anything.

But that's my problem with treating it like it's a laptop, which I probably shouldn't be doing.

9. The_Interloper macrumors regular

The_Interloper

I cannot tolerate the Smart Keyboard, I just find it too fiddly and poor value for money. Just personal, I guess, but it’s also got virtually no key travel.

I went with a Magic Keyboard with Canopy cover by Studio Neat. The keyboard I picked up for just £45 on eBay, boxed and like new. The cover was $40. Looks great and only needed when required. The rest of the time, I use the iPad Pro with a Saddle Brown leather smart cover and back skin by Dbrand.

I also had a Logitech slim combo which was excellent for typing but added a fair bit of bulk and weight. For that reason, it just defeated the purpose of an iPad for me. If you only need an occasional keyboard and don’t want to spend a fortune, consider the Logitech Keys to Go or K380.