Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philmore13

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
NC
What is everyone's thoughts on using the magic keyboard and a Smart Cover? Actually a cheaper combo. What other options are everyone thinking of if you're not getting the smart keyboard?

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I'm using an Apple bluetooth keyboard and a smart cover, and while it works I wouldn't want to use it as a full-time solution. I like that the smart keyboard is attached to the iPP but can be folded back easily when you want it out of the way. I also like that it doesn't need any additional battery/charging. It might not be the best keyboard you can buy, but as a peripheral to the iPP it's the best I've played with.

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
I have purchased and returned the Logitech Create it's too dang heavy. I used the Apple Smart Keyboard for 30 minutes today at the store and it is the best of both worlds for IOS. I personally wish Hell Froze over and Apple would license the Surface Pro 4 keyboard, now that's the best put there.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'm using an Apple bluetooth keyboard and a smart cover, and while it works I wouldn't want to use it as a full-time solution. I like that the smart keyboard is attached to the iPP but can be folded back easily when you want it out of the way. I also like that it doesn't need any additional battery/charging. It might not be the best keyboard you can buy, but as a peripheral to the iPP it's the best I've played with.

Can you fold the Smart Cover and prop up the Pro on your lap and type with the onboard keyboard or is the cover too awkward and flimsy? I want to do it in landscape position.

If it works reasonably well I may just go with it and forget the smart keyboard. I already have a stand and a BT keyboard when I use the Pro on my table or desk so that is covered.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Can you fold the Smart Cover and prop up the Pro on your lap and type with the onboard keyboard or is the cover too awkward and flimsy? I want to do it in landscape position.

If it works reasonably well I may just go with it and forget the smart keyboard. I already have a stand and a BT keyboard when I use the Pro on my table or desk so that is covered.

No, the balance is too precarious to not have an attached keyboard, imo.

Edit: if you mean the onscreen keyboard then yes you can definitely do that and it works okay. I'd still prefer the smart keyboard personally, though.

lsutiger

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2003
i'm using the Apple Smart Cover/Case Combo and then a logitech k380 bluetooth keyboard for those times that I need a keyboard. Didn't want the extra bulk of a keyboard case all the time.

philmore13

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
NC
i'm using the Apple Smart Cover/Case Combo and then a logitech k380 bluetooth keyboard for those times that I need a keyboard. Didn't want the extra bulk of a keyboard case all the time.

Picked the same combo up today. I think its fantastic, less bulk, the keyboard color matched the smart cover/case perfectly. This should serve my needs perfectly, thanks for the idea!.... Now about that pencil :mad:

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I have the Logitech Keys to Go and while I like the light weight of it, the key travel is too shallow and it actually slows down my typing.

I don't have one. Is the key travel shallower than that of Apple's smart keyboard cover?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I don't have one. Is the key travel shallower than that of Apple's smart keyboard cover?

I tried the Smart Keyboard in Apple Store over the past weekend (I bought the iPad Pro, but had to order the Smart Keyboard and Pencil online... 4-5 weeks... :( ), and IMO typing on it was much better than the Keys to Go. Less shallow keys, more tactile feedback - although I really like how light the Keys to Go is.

The problem with the Smart Keyboard is that it doesn't have any iOS shortcut keys on it e.g. Home button, Play/Pause/Previous/Next Track, Sound level, Silent mode, Search, Change language etc. This will be a big problem if you have already gotten used to any Bluetooth keyboard that has those keys.

Actually the Keys to Go is on the shelves of Apple Store you can ask the staff to open the box for you and try on the keyboard (this won't damage the box in my experience) to compare.

Reactions: silverblack

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I tried the Smart Keyboard in Apple Store over the past weekend (I bought the iPad Pro, but had to order the Smart Keyboard and Pencil online... 4-5 weeks... :( ), and IMO typing on it was much better than the Keys to Go. Less shallow keys, more tactile feedback - although I really like how light the Keys to Go is.

The problem with the Smart Keyboard is that it doesn't have any iOS shortcut keys on it e.g. Home button, Play/Pause/Previous/Next Track, Sound level, Silent mode, Search, Change language etc. This will be a big problem if you have already gotten used to any Bluetooth keyboard that has those keys.

Actually the Keys to Go is on the shelves of Apple Store you can ask the staff to open the box for you and try on the keyboard (this won't damage the box in my experience) to compare.

Have been using apple Bluetooth keyboard while waiting for smart keyboard. Have noticed in some apps like safari, when you go to type the onscreen keyboard still pops up. Super weird.

I've played around with smart keyboard in store, to me it's the best solution right now given how easy it is to take off and I like using my iPad standalone a lot read magazines etc. I did notice some were musher than others, hope it doesn't get more mushy over time given its the fabric that provides the tension.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
I think I'm going to go with a refurbished Logitech keys to go on eBay for under 30 bucks. Think it's a good idea?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Is that for iOS or Windows?
Keys to go has all sorts of shortcuts for iOS on the top row.
But Apple changed the shortcut key for changing language in iOS 9 (the same keystroke [CMD+Space] now changed to search) so that key doesn't work as intended now on the Keys to go keyboard.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I have purchased and returned the Logitech Create it's too dang heavy. I used the Apple Smart Keyboard for 30 minutes today at the store and it is the best of both worlds for IOS. I personally wish Hell Froze over and Apple would license the Surface Pro 4 keyboard, now that's the best put there.

Although I didn't really need a keyboard in the first place, what I really needed was something to protect and prop up the iPad Pro up. It is simply too awkward to hold for long periods, and if it drops, the weight makes it very likely to get damaged.

With no Smart Keyboard available and being doubtful of having to buy both the Case and Cover just to protect it, I went with the Logitech Create keyboard. It's crazy heavy, but if it's resting on a table or bed it's pretty solid. The magnetic connector holds it in place pretty well, and because it encloses the whole iPad, it protects it fairly well.

Bonus - I can actually prop it up in portrait position with considerable stability due to the "keyboard" segment! (although it looks kind of silly.) This is useful when I'm reading books / comics.

I'm fairly impressed with it so far, although I'd definitely consider something more portable if I were going to lug it around a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.