Keyboard or logic board problem? HELP! :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stellargirl, Sep 6, 2013.

1. stellargirl macrumors newbie

About 2 months ago I spilled sesame oil on the top right corner of my MBP (late 2011 model) over the on/off button. I cleaned it up and it was fine until about a month ago.

PROBLEMS:
    Keyboard issues progressed from typing extra letters to typing the wrong letters and then phantom typing (when i wasn't pressing keys). Genius Bar's keyboard diagnostic showed that letter G was stuck. Key board now is virtually unresponsive - even sound and light buttons. NOTE: currently using USB keyboard which works entirely fine. (as you can see) Although the characters you type when pressing shift key don't correlate to the usb keyboard, but the mac keyboard. For example: usb keyboard shows " above the 2, but types @ just as it's shown on the mac keyboard. (perhaps a sign the logic board is ok???)

Trackpad is erratic, including performing right click functions and extra highlighting when only pressing with one finger. Intermittent and only started a few days ago. Highly annoying to say the least.

Oil was seen by Genius Bar on bottom outer casing when opened, which was cleaned off with alcohol. No corrosion noted. Unclear if they looked at the keyboard or keyboard connection to logic board when they opened it.

No problems with any processing functions, only with keyboard and trackpad.

REPAIR QUOTE:
    "Genius" Bar quoted me repairs for the following for a total of over 840 pounds including VAT (currently in the UK):

Display Clamshell - 188.
    top case w/ KB ASSY - 88.
    Board, logic 2.8 Ghz - 394.
    Airport/bluetooth flex cable - 7.
    Labor - 140

QUESTIONS:
    Why is keyboard not listed??
    Does the logic board and display REALLY need to be replaced?
    Can I just have the keyboard replaced?

I hope someone can help!

THANKS!! :)

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Apple will only do full repairs in case of liquid spills. This usually includes the logic board. Also the keyboard is part of the top case.

3. stellargirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I suspected as much from Apple. :(

Any thoughts on whether or not replacing the keyboard only would solve the problem? I can imagine that oil drying up on the keys might cause them to stick...?