Keyboard or Motherboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stealfire, Mar 5, 2014.

1. stealfire macrumors newbie

i spilled couple drops of milk into my keyboard one morning but as it continued to work just fine i didn't worry about it. a few hours later i booted up again and continued working. about 15 minutes into it, the keys stopped working one by one starting from the right side. long story short, all but the keys on the very right side continue to work. however without basic keys such as delete, shift, and most importantly, return, the keyboard is pretty useless. took it apart hoping to clean keyboard front and back, which i did, with q-tips, would get it working again but no luck. works fine external keyboard. backlighting works only sporadically. i'm wondering if it's a keyboard issue or a motherboard issue. i can replace the keyboard myself but if its the motherboard, it's probably not worth the expense and labor. does anyone have any ideas how i might discover which problem it might be. my apple care long expired though they did replace the motherboard once. not sure what it would cost to have the apple store diagnose it. just started working again and cant afford to put a lot of cash into a solution. thanks. Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.27f3
    Serial Number (system): W8831AX7YJX
    Hardware UUID: 88AF29D8-E424-5151-B058-A9ADD4290CF0
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Apple stores have free diagnostics, I'd go ask them.

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Strange the AASP out here charge $50 to diagnose out of warranty cases. But i guess having them do it will pinpoint the actual issue so you can go call for a part.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Under warranty they do, but I'm not sure about out of warranty work. I asked them about some issue on my out of warranty laptop and they were going to charge me.

5. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

open the laptop and disconnect the keyboard from the motherboard when the laptop is on or a sleep, use your usb keyboard for a while, if everything is good (no shutdowns) is your top case(keyboard) you can find top cases on ebay ,just do it yourself.
    apple will tell you that you need a new motherboard and top case and lots of $