Keyboard Premonition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yr Blues, May 6, 2017.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I have a feeling they're moving us to a key-less touchscreen keyboard with next generation haptic feedback.

The keys to my late-2016 MBP are so flat, I know they're making us adjust to a different paradigm.

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nope. The ergonomics would be atrocious. Not happening.

3. mac.ross macrumors member

I very much doubt it.

They main reason for switching to the current style keyboard was to save space since they don't travel as much as the previous generation.

There is essentially no real benefit to replacing the keyboard with a touchscreen, it would be more expensive, it would probably increase the footprint, it would provide less physical feedback and and be worse to use and most importantly, it would use significantly more power than current physical keyboards.

A touchscreen keyboard for the entire keyboard is pretty much the antithesis of everything Apple is about.

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Today Apple's solid state haptic buttons are so convincing they feel as good as, or even better than, real buttons. In the fullness of time, it is conceivable that they would develop haptics that make a solid state keyboard feel like it's a real keyboard.

5. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

By the time they get it suitable for all typists the telepathic interface will be available

6. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

7. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado