Keyboard problem, 5tgb row does not work on Macbook Pro 15" even after new keyboard.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by connelm, Mar 16, 2010.

1. connelm macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz, 3 GB 667, running 10.6.2.
    Last week my keyboard started acting up, the first thing to go was the "M" key, the key would "work when it wanted to" so to say. This was a little frustrating, but it would come around after typing around the key (on the keys near the M) and I could complete my work.
    Just one day later the "T" key started to act up at the same time, and shortly after that the entire 5tgb row was working "on and off". I bought a replacement keyboard and carefully installed the keyboard. For 2 days the keyboard worked without a hitch, but now my problem is back, the M key no longer has any issues, however the 5tgb row is starting to work less and less. I want to think this is some sort of connection issue from what I am reading, however it is a "heat" issue as well.
    The keyboard will work fine for the first 10 min the computer is on, and then it slowly starts to fade away on me working "on and off" or as it wants to.
    I have read as much as I could on the internet, however most people I found with problems were due to spilling etc. I have not spilled any liquid on the machine.
    One thing that I will note is that the motherboard was replaces about 4 months ago by a company that I have had very good luck with, www.iresq.com, they had the board replaced because the problem was a known issue with something in the machine, I didn't ask many questions because they got it done for the cost of shipping.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone got any idea's for what to test or replace on the machine to get it working correctly? I am at a loss as if it is a connection issue I would believe the mother board would have to be tampered with.
    Any suggestions would be great.
    Thank You
    Matt

2. hiya christian macrumors newbie

my 5tgb and the increase volume button

@connelm:
    I am having the same issue as you on my 2007 13" 2.16 GHz macbook.
    I just recently have been having this problem, and as you can see, I can use those keys, but they are temperamental. I did not spill anything on my macbook either, and I have no idea as to what is causing this, but it sucks, since I've been working on an essay the whole day. In addition to the 5tgb keys, my increase volume key is also unresponsive sometimes.

Anyone Halp!!!!!!

3. Lost Viking macrumors newbie

Hear hear...

I got the same problem too. The 5tgb row is a bit on and off and lives a life on its own...

I have a 15" Macbook Pro 2,2 Ghz. Also the keyboard lights go on and off as it pleases. You have the same problem?

I tried to reset my PRAM, did not work...:apple::mad::apple:

4. Lost Viking macrumors newbie

Also my "?" dissappears when the 5tgb is acting up.

Same symptoms?

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I trust you have also done an SMC reset as well?

6. Lost Viking macrumors newbie

smc rese*

*ha* should rese* *y i*self when i res*ar* *he machine...

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You mean: That should reset by itself when I restart the machine? No this is not true. You have to physically reset the SMC by following the steps in this guide.

8. Lost Viking macrumors newbie

Did not work.....

thinking aout deleting the whole os and downgrade?
    Think it will work?