Keyboard problem, 'linked' keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by creationtwenty2, Feb 13, 2012.

1. creationtwenty2 macrumors member

Hey there,

I'm having problems with the keyboard on my Mid '11 15" MacBook Pro. Some keys appear to be 'linked' to others. For example; typing a '1' also presses the 'volume up' (F12`) key. Here's some other examples (I'm only typing the numbers here, the symbols are typing themselves);

2`

4]
    5[
    6=

Also the up arrow key types a 9 and the right arrow key types an 8

I've checked the language/mapping setup and all appears to be normal. I've also checked the 'Keyboard Viewer' which shows the behaviour I detailed above, two keys being pressed at the same time.

I've done an Apple Hardware Test which came back clean, repaired permissions, done the usual PRAM/SMC reset and nothing has fixed it.

Any ideas before I make an appointment at the Genius Bar? I've just had this MacBook Back a month ago after the HDD failed, and I really don't fancy losing another two days cloning my HDD or reinstalling all my software.

Specs are: 10.6.8, 2.2Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, HD6750, 750GB HDD.

Thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Any chance there was a spill? I've seen behavior like that when water or liquid of some type was shorting out the connections. It's also possible it's a bad keyboard or flex cable from the keyboard. Chances are it'll need a trip to Apple, but while I would recommend a backup, it shouldn't require that they erase or replace the drive.

jW

3. creationtwenty2 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, Mal.

I agree it sounds like the kind of behaviour one would expect to see from liquid damage but I'm positive that is almost impossible. I have never spilled anything on/near it or used it outside, and I'm pretty sure nobody else has either.

Yeah it's under warranty and I've got AppleCare on it too, I'll stop by the Genius Bar tomorrow and see what they can do.

Thanks again