Keyboard Problem Mac Book Pro OS X Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by matthewmac1945, Dec 2, 2010.

1. matthewmac1945 macrumors newbie

I have this problem. I am able to type in my login password & login but there after my keyboard will not enter anything. Mouse & track pad work OK.

I have read many topics in this regard but not quite like mine.

Lots of help given include using the keyboard to get to various parts but I cannot even reload OS as I need to use my password to do so, which brings us back to the problem!!! I cannot type anything in any box on any thing. Sometimes I even get the circle of death and can only shut down with the power switch. That is never a good thing is it?

Any help would be most appreciated as I am a Mac newbie.

Yours sincerely
    Matthew.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Most likely a hardware issue. Odd that you can login, but then lose the ability to type...

Have you tried a USB or bluetooth external keyboard? Checked Keyboard settings in System Preferences to make sure nothing wonky is checked or un-checked.

I would say if you boot from install DVD (put DVD in drive, mouse to System Prefs>>Startup Disk>>and click on the DVD, then use the Apple in upper left to reboot. Should reboot from DVD.

Go through the steps to get to where you can type in some info, or use the keyboard to navigate and see if it works.

You might also try replacing the drivers. Maybe they've gotten corrupted.

3. rhymac macrumors newbie

Keyboard Problem Mystery SOLVED!!!

I have been banging my head against the wall because I've been having the exact same problem with the keyboard on my Mac Book Pro. Basically, I could log in, and then it would stop working. In my case, the trackpad would occasionally stop functioning as well. I had even brought it into a store for troubleshooting, but wasn't able to repro the problem there. I can't be sure, but it seems to me that this problem started once I upgraded to Lion.

I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse paired with the computer, but I don't use them very often. As it turns out, those devices were the cause of my problems. I realized that when those are turned off, the built-in keyboard and trackpad work fine. What was happening was that when I forgot to turn one of those off, they would become the primary input devices and the built-in ones would be disabled.

I realize that you posted this problem 10 months ago, but since I haven't found anything about this problem on the web, I thought I should reply anyway. Perhaps we're not the only poor schmucks who have been wrestling with this. :D