keyboard problem - some letters doesn't work

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sandelion, Nov 9, 2013.

1. sandelion, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

sandelion macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a problem with my wired keyboard. After I cleaned it and reconnect it, the letter "p" started to repeat untill i pressed another key and since then doesn't work anymore. plus, i can't type anymore the right bracket (shift + 0) even the 0 works. Same problem with the question mark (shift + /), key "/" works but i can't type the question mark.

later edit: now i discoverd that also the upper keys of ";" and "\" does not work anymore.

Can anyone help me ?
    Thanks.

2. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

How did you clean it? Water? Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)? It may just need drying time if you used water and got some inside.

I clean my keyboards using Isopropyl alcohol in those sealed packets. Handy little pad with 70% IPA solution. Rip open the package, pull out the pad, and wipe down the keys. If any did get inside the IPA is harmless and dries quickly.

If you need to dry out your keyboard quickly you could put it in a sealed bag with silica beads as a desiccant. Leave over night.

3. sandelion, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

sandelion thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i used some alcohool to clean it. I've done it many times but never got problems like this. If this is the cause, i don't understand why did affect the upper keys too...

4. sandelion thread starter macrumors newbie

After approximately 24 hours seems that everything returned to normal, except the problem with the letter "p" repeating over and over again after the keyboard is reconnected or the computer is turned on (or restarted). Any ideas ?

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Maybe the adhesive or whatever it's called that connects the key to the sensor in the keyboard is stuck?

Try giving the key a quick, hard jab.