Keyboard Problem with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TBoneElbow, Jan 30, 2008.

1. TBoneElbow macrumors newbie

I was an Apple user a long time ago, then I was in the Windows world for a long time, and now I have both. Purchased MBP in December. Came with Tiger and upgrade disk for Leopard, and now I am running 10.5.1.

The biggest issue I have is the keyboard seems to go to sleep sometimes and it misses the first letter of what I key after it does. I have not seen the dead keyboard problem that some people reported prior to the 10.5.1 patch, but this "misses the first letter" thing is a big PITA.

My other major complaint is the lack of a reasonable docking station option. If Apple doesn't want to offer one, fine, but omitting a docking port on the bottom leads to ridiculous products like the Brazil-inspired contraption from BookEndz. Ugh.

Overall, I don't see much difference between the MBP and PC laptops I've used. There are some nice features in OS X, but there are a bunch of things I don't like, too. With the keyboard problem I'm starting to wonder if I will ever build any affection for the MBP. I would be really unhappy if I had paid for it myself.

2. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I have a similar problem, although it's not related to sleep. My MBP (brand new) keyboard sometimes misses certain letters randomly as I'm typing, slightly annoying!!

3. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I have noticed that also. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

4. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

Good luck with that.
    I returned mine 3 times for it and then wanted my money back and they had the nerve to charge me $200.00 restocking fee for defective hardware.
    Lets just say that PMO!

5. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

6. DocSmitty macrumors regular

This is a fairly well known issue with 10.5.1

Hope that 10.5.2 fixes.

7. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

When I wake my PowerBook G4 from sleep by opening the lid or clicking the trackpad button or pressing the power button, the keyboard doesn't register the first keystroke when I type in my password. If I wake it by pressing a key on the keyboard, then it registers the following key presses. Currently on Tiger 10.4.11, and it was like this since day one.