Keyboard problem with new iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sirslabknit, Oct 3, 2013.

1. sirslabknit macrumors newbie

I have just taken delivery of the new 5S iPhone and have set it up according to instructions. It has a disastrous problem with the keyboard. Keys are activated before I even touch the keyboard. Hover the finger a couple of millimetres away from the screen and keys start to "depress" at random. The device is unusable in its present state. I will return it but wonder if others have seen the same problem?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

You should do some troubleshooting, before returning it.

Have you tried doing a hard reboot, where you hold the home and power buttons, until you see the Apple logo?

If it's still acting up after that, you should try a restore of iOS7.

Did you restore a backup, when you set up the phone?

3. sirslabknit thread starter macrumors newbie

Mmmm.
    Yes I restored from backup using iTunes. No I have not hard rebooted though I have powered off then on again - if that is different.
    But the good news is that the problem has now gone away without me doing anything!!!
    The keyboard now works OK.
    I wonder if it was static in my fingers due to the massive excitement of the new phone (which seems identical so far to the old iphone5 !!) or perhaps the result of the fingerprinting setup??

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yeah, as I said, the hard reboot is when you hold the home and power buttons, until you see the Apple logo appear, so it's different.

But I'm glad it's settled down. It may even have just been some oddity from everything booting up and such. It's a miniature computer, so it's going to do odd things, now and then, just like its full sized counterparts.