Keyboard Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hook85, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Hook85 macrumors member

Hook85

This isn't a gripe about the new keyboard - I quite like it although it did take a few hours to get used to it.

I write a lot, which is the main purpose of the machine.

I've noticed today, which is the first time I've sat down and bashed out a few chapters of my latest novel, that sometimes the 'n' key doesn't always register. Most of the time it does, but every now and then I end up with no 'n' in my words. It feels a bit harder to press down upon than the others, but only when it doesn't register.

So in other words, most of the time the key feels normal and responds normally, but occasionally it feels strange and doesn't register.

When I'm in normal apps that isn't a problem because autocorrect/spell check picks it up, but the writing I app I use *doesn't* auto correct (deliberately), so it causes a bigger problem!

Is it likely to be a fault with the keyboard on the machine (I've only had it four days) or is it just that I haven't adapted to using the new keyboard properly and I need to give it some more time?

2. No-Me macrumors 6502a

Most likely it's an issue with the keyboard. Try and press the "N" key on several locations of the key and you will notice that it will only register when you hit it in a position that you won't hit when typing normally.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. There have been quite a few people, myself included, who have had a machine replaced b.c a key was defective.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I'd definitely make an appointment to see one of the geniuses at an Apple Store while the MacBook is still within the return period.

5. Hook85 thread starter macrumors member

Hook85

Thanks all who commented. I have made an appointment for Monday. I believe the return period is 14 days? If so I'll be well within it. It's the first appointment I could make, I tried several times yesterday and there was no availability. I'll also print this thread off and take it with me to show that it isn't just me. I had somebody else try using it today and they agreed that a few keys didn't 'feel right' and that the 'n' key was definitely defective.

6. Hook85 thread starter macrumors member

Hook85

I'm taking my rMB into the Apple Store this afternoon about the keyboard problem. I've just realised this morning (although I had noticed last week) that the machine isn't perfectly flat. When I rest my right hand on the right side of the track pad the machine 'bends' and taps the desk. I wonder if this is why one side of the keyboard doesn't work properly, and the other side is fine.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

NaNo, the wobbling is also quite normal. Make sure you are resting the MB on a completely even surface, as even small variations can give the issue you describe.

8. Hook85 thread starter macrumors member

Hook85

Well, after a somewhat 'crap' experience at the Apple Store on Monday I emailed Tim Cook. I now have a brand new rMB, it was only born on the 10th August, and they've thrown in a pair of the Beats as I bought it from the education store, even though it was ordered a month before the promotion started.

At least when Apple screw up they make it right. Touch wood, this keyboard seems to be working fine.

9. Hook85 thread starter macrumors member

Hook85

Cheers.

Interestingly this one, the replacement, does not wobble at all. It's much easier to use without it bending when you're typing on the left hand side of the keyboard. I can't actually rely on my touch typing skills now, rather than having to type two fingered like the old man that I am.