Keyboard Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xwind11, Sep 4, 2010.

1. xwind11 macrumors newbie

Ok I just bought this macbook off a friend cause he said he couldn't get it to work so what happens is when i push the f key it types a "ƒ" like if i push the option+f. when i bring up the keyboard viewer when i press the left option key it seems like it auto puts a "ƒ" on the screen and looks like it presses like 4 other keys but if I press the right option key it does nothing if i press right option+f does nothing but works with everything else. just dont know if maybe someone waste some water in it or something cause the left tab key and capslock key sticks sometimes also.

Thank you

2. Abscissa macrumors regular

3. xwind11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that it help with the sticking keys but still having that problem with the option key making that funny f like when you press option+f

4. Abscissa macrumors regular

Apple computers do that, it's not an issue. There's tons of key combination.

Option + Shift + K =  (not a picture, but an actual key)

Option + R = ®

Option + Shift + 8 = °

Option + F = ƒ

The list goes on...it's the equivalent to Alt Key Codes in windows.

What are you pressing option for? Command key is for all the shortcuts (Copy, Paste, Find, etc)

5. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

You misunderstood the post. It happens when he presses f alone, as if it was like he was pressing it along with the option key. When you bring up the keyboard viewer it says U.S. right? The keyboard might be shot..

6. xwind11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats exactly right green86 it does it by itself I figured the keyboard was shot maybe the guy i got it from waste something in it thats why the keys were sticking ok so ill just buy a new keyboard i guess.

Thank you guys for all you help you will see me again on this forum.