Keyboard problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sort me out, Dec 30, 2007.

1. sort me out macrumors newbie

Hello, I have G4 15" flatscreen Mac with a keyboard which seems to have a mind of it's own. Each time I try to type something the words come come out reversed when I try to delete (hit backspace) the cursor jumps to the http address field and when I press the space bar I loose the current page I was surfing on. I have to type backwards and is driving me mad. Has anyone come across a similar problem? Your help would be truley appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What OS are you running? Do you have any key changers installed? Have you checked the Keyboard Layout in the International pane of System Preferences? :)

3. sort me out thread starter macrumors newbie

sort me out Part 2

Dear, mad jew tanxs for responding. I am running OSX version 10.4.11. I have check the keyboard preferences and have set the modifer keys to default. Although I have reset the keyboard shortcuts to default, I was notifed that another action had the same keys which I altered manually. Within this option I also choose to select "text boxes and lists only" option. which I am not sure about will try other option.

How can I tell if I have key changers installed or what do I need to do to make sure that I do not have any?

I really do appreciate the help you have provided so far. My other option I was thinking of doing was to wipe the hard drive and start from the begining. I am now also trying to explore how I do this as I have no knowledge of this.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good start, but did you check the Input Menu in the International pane?

If you don't remember installing such an app, then you probably don't have it.

If it comes to this, then follow Apple's instructions for an archive & install. Technically that should keep all your apps and documents intact, but back everything up beforehand just in case. I'm not sure a reinstall will necessarily help at this stage though. It's probably a good idea to continue troubleshooting until we find the cause of the problem, so as to ensure it won't happen again.

5. sort me out thread starter macrumors newbie

keyboard problems part3

Dear mad jew, I have visited the input menu in international profile. What exatctly am I looking for please? I have noted that the following languages have been selected "British, Arabic, US, and US extended".

Also "select previous input source" is set to apple space
    "select next input source in menu" is set to apple alt space

"Allow a different input source for each document" has been selected with "show input menu in menu bar" has been selected.

regards

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, make sure the appropriate input is selected (British or whatever keyboard you have). However, I don't think this is the problem. Do you have another keyboard you could test the machine with?

7. sort me out thread starter macrumors newbie

keyboard probs cont...

Hi mad jew, I have selected the appropriate input selections but it did not make a difference. I have tried testing with another keyboard in fact this is one of the first things I tried but this did not resolve the problem. Ironicly my sis has exactly the same mac as me except that i have more RAM.

This is really strange I was wondering if my 11 yr old bro has downloaded a virus or something as this is not normal also I have noticed that he cannot down load any torrents and stuff (this could could just be incidental though).

each time I go to my yahoo mail to login and I tab to next field instead of tabbing down to my password the tab just jumps straight to web address field. When I press backspace it just goes to the previous web page I was surfing at the time. To make matters worse when I type anything words come out backwards.

I will check my sisters settings on her Mac and compare to mine and see if that makes a difference. I am not sure what to do

regards
    Akmal

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This is truly bizarre. What apps do you have installed or running?

9. sort me out thread starter macrumors newbie

mac cont

Dear Mad jew, in response to your questions.

I software that I have running at the time is only Safari. I have no other apps running in the background. I usually like to do one thing at a time.

The apps that I have installed on my mac are:
    Saffari
    Azurus
    Mac office
    VLC media player
    Itunes
    photoshop v7

nothing really special.

I feel that I will now investigate ways to wipe the hard drive clean and try to re install custom software. I have save all the files that I need now its a case of knowing what I have to do.

Mad jew thanxs 4 all ur help.
    Akmal

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

To reinstall you must boot from your restore discs by holding C when they're in your optical drive. Use Disk utility to reformat (erase) the drive, using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatting. Then follow the prompts to reinstall the OS. :)

11. sort me out thread starter macrumors newbie

mac cont

Dear mad jew, thanks for all your help.:eek::)

regards
    Akmal

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I would create a new user and see if the problem happens with the new user.

Also, try the keyboard on another computer.