Keyboard Protector for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mwam, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Mwam macrumors newbie

Looking at the thread on skins for rMPBs it was stated from both Apple and certain members on this forum that placing a skin would not be recommended due to damage to the retina screen.

I was wondering would using a keyboard protector have the possibility of damaging the retina screen?

What are other users experiences in this area with keyboard protectors for the rMPB as well?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Brettka7 macrumors regular

3. Mwam thread starter macrumors newbie

There is very little clearance between the screen of a retina MBP and the keyboard. There is a thread stickied in this forum that states palm rest covers could damage the screen of the retina MBP, I was wondering if you put a keyboard protector would there be any risk of damage.

4. jangozo macrumors member

I think in the sticky they're referring to anything you put between your retina screen and body of the rmbp. Whatever you put there will touch your screen if you close it so yes that includes keyboard protectors.

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I don't use any keyboard skins... I have tried a few, and they all take away from the otherwise smooth type and feedback of the keyboard.

The keyboard is just fine in it's naked self :p

I do not eat or drink around it though.

6. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I use a keyboard cover whenever I type, mostly because I like to keep the keyboard in pristine condition. Thanks to a keyboard cover, the keyboard on my 2010 MBA (recently gifted to my younger sister) looked like new after over two years of heavy use.

With the rMBP I have the same concerns as you do, so I decided to take the keyboard cover off whenever I close the computer. If I leave it on, I notice faint dust marks where the screen hit the keys while the rMBP was closed.

Granted, the same thing happened on my MBA and was only ever dust that cleaned off quickly and easily. I never took the keyboard cover off of my MBA and the screen was perfect after two years. This could also be the same on the rMBP and therefore nothing to worry about, but with how much this machine costs, I decided to just keep the keyboard cover off when its closed.

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I dont think it would damage it.
    If there is something on the screen you can always wipe it off with alcohol or something.

8. Mwam thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks what you're doing seems reasonable to me and as you said with the cost of this machine I'd rather not take any chances seeing as how I intend to keep it for a considerable amount of time.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

I've been using a Rearth keyboard cover for the past month without any issues. I check the screen periodically for markings, but haven't seen any yet. I do notice that the Rearth cover for the rMBP feels a little bit stiffer than the one I had for the MacBook Air, though.

10. -jc macrumors member

-jc

I recently received a SwitchEasy SafeKeys keyboard cover for my MacBook Pro, I wrote a review of it here:

http://www.resexcellence.com/2013/01/22/review-switcheasy-safekeys-keyboard-cover-for-macbook-pro/

Basically, it makes typing feel different, but it has the bonus of preventing damage if you spill anything on the keyboard (although technically, any liquid could still seep into the speaker holes either side...).

It's not the cheapest cover available but I found the quality made it worth it.

As for it marking the screen, it even comes supplied with a nice microfiber cloth so you can place that over the keyboard for when the lid is closed.

[​IMG]